Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting around the commissioning my electrical system after my build & I am having some problems with the Digital Guard Dawg module. As soon as I apply 12V from the ignition switch to the red wire on the DGD I have 12V on the Acc (R/BK wire) and the Ignition (R/GY Wire). This is without any inputs on the grey or black kill switch wires of the DGD. It appears the relay contacts are closed so I did some bench tests without power applied to the relay.

Bench test – no power applied:
R – R/GY: open
R - R/BK: closed
R/GY – R/BK: open
Grey DGD control wire is common to the Red DGD ignition wire.

If I apply 12V to the Red DGD ignition wire I have 12V on both of the DGD R/BK & R/GY ignition wires. It appears the relay picks up as soon as it has a 12V input from the main fuse.

Is this thing defective or am I doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I am just getting around the commissioning my electrical system after my build & I am having some problems with the Digital Guard Dawg module. As soon as I apply 12V from the ignition switch to the red wire on the DGD I have 12V on the Acc (R/BK wire) and the Ignition (R/GY Wire). This is without any inputs on the grey or black kill switch wires of the DGD. It appears the relay contacts are closed so I did some bench tests without power applied to the relay.

Bench test – no power applied:
R – R/GY: open
R - R/BK: closed
R/GY – R/BK: open
Grey DGD control wire is common to the Red DGD ignition wire.

If I apply 12V to the Red DGD ignition wire I have 12V on both of the DGD R/BK & R/GY ignition wires. It appears the relay picks up as soon as it has a 12V input from the main fuse.

Is this thing defective or am I doing something wrong?
I was hoping someone that has used this module would respond. I installed my own version before this was available but from what you describe something is not working right.

The relay should only send power from the BATTERY red (R) wire to the IGNITION red with black stripe (R/BK) circuit and ACCESSORY red with gray stripe (R/GY) circuit when the “Dawg Tag” is within range and the gray (GY) wire is connected to the white with black stripe (BK/W) wire (when these are wired as instructed and the RUN/STOP switch is set to RUN they will be connected). It’s also important to connect the KIM black (BK) ground wire to a good BATTERY ground point.

I don’t understand your bench test description of the various circuits but I attached a drawing that shows how to hook it up.

To bench test the KIM connect the BATTERY + to the R and BN wires and the BATTERY ground to the BK wire. The W/BK and GY wires can connect to a switch or you can just touch them together. With the W/BK & GY wires connected and with the “Dawg Tag” within range the R/BK (ignition) and R/GY wires should be hot.

The BN wire allows you to use a different power supply for the ACCESSORY circuits but for HD bikes this is the same as the IGNITION feed. To test this ACCESSORY circuit separately, connect the BATTERY + to the BN wire and the BATTERY ground to the BK wire. When the ACCESSORY switch is connected to the BK & W paired wires and switched ON, the BN wire should be hot (the “Dawg Tag” doesn’t need to be present for this test).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the detailed response. I should have provided a better description of how I tested it but it was exactly as you have described. The unit that I have does not have the BN wire, otherwise it is exactly per your drawing. The relay will pick up as soon as you apply 12V to the R ignition lead with the trigger (kill) wires open and the fob's no where near the device.

I contacted DGD tech support yesterday who were very responsive and helpful. They are sending out a replacement unit as the unit I have is defective. That's pretty good of them considering I purcahsed it at least a year ago, if not longer, from RJ (who they have a great deal of respect for) and not them directly, and have only gotten around to installing and testing it now, and they are not requiring that I send the defective unit back to them. Excellent customer service for which I am very grateful.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide such a detailed response, I am sure others will benefit from it if they encounter problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts