Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone!

Posting this in the "R" section because it deals with our brushed/polished aluminum gearbox cover that's chromed on everyone else's bike. Went on a long ride this weekend and got hit with a sprinkler--since sprinkler water is generally nasty well water that leaves rust stains pretty quickly, I decided to wipe the bike down with instant detailer before I put it away. Unfortunately, I got some on the gearbox cover while it was still hot and, even though I wiped it off immediately, it left some streaks. I spent about 2 hours hand-polishing it with metal polish--nothing. Then I attacked it with a medium grit rubbing compound and finished it with metal polish--wound up with a blindingly shiny, completely smooth, mirror finish gearbox cover, WITH THE SAME STREAKS ON IT!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this out? Would a power polisher (like a Mother's Powerball) make any difference? Pig Snot? S100? Anything?? Help!

Sorry I'm always on here asking questions and never giving any help--with time, hopefully I'll learn enough that I'll be able to give some good advice, too...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Try semichrome

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, sweet. The Simichrome or the BlueAway? Sounds like the BlueAway might work--it's kind of a darker but still shiny area on the cover. I think I need something to chemically react with it since even medium-grit rubbing compound didn't remove it.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
YellowR said:
Ok, sweet. The Simichrome or the BlueAway? Sounds like the BlueAway might work--it's kind of a darker but still shiny area on the cover. I think I need something to chemically react with it since even medium-grit rubbing compound didn't remove it.
I would go w/ semichrome...it really does make alumiun look like chrome and I am sure it will take your stains off

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
YellowR said:
Good morning everyone!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this out? Would a power polisher (like a Mother's Powerball) make any difference? Pig Snot? S100? Anything?? Help!

Check this place out. Someone there will know exactly how to do it. www.autopia.org

1 - 5 of 5 Posts