Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, last year I was planning on some highway time on the bike and picked up a genuine HD detachable windshield with hardware. I figured this was the perfect solution since most of the time I wouldn't need the shield but those times I knew I was going to be on the highway for extended periods, I would just clip it on.

And it was...the perfect solution...EXCEPT the damn thing pushed air directly into my head and I felt like me head was in a damn paint mixer! I thought I had remembered a company talked about on this forum that made taller shields that would still use the quick-detach hardware but I can NOT remember who/what that company was.

Can anyone supply me with that company (or any other) that makes taller windscreens for the detachable brackets for the VRSCF?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check out these guys.. almost got one but decided not yet. Not really doing long distance trips at this time.
Looks like this will work with the Harley quick release brackets.

(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
The Clearview shield referenced above is interesting as I'm a fan of laminar lips. My buddy and I are currently on a 1600 mile road trip and he's riding the F with my (hardware modified) H-D shield. Sadly the F is now my "other" bike so I haven't ridden it lately.

He's a bit shorter than me, but he has complained of wind buffet on his helmet due to the position/height/design of the stock shield.

I wonder if it would solve the problem as my hardware is set up to put the stock shield into a different position due to my using a DX visor on the F.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this shield?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Acouple years back I replaced the OEM Muscle sheild (with mods to fit budman riser and DX cowl) with a Rifle shield.

I ordered the one for the 12 & later DX with +4" of height. The buffeting is greatly reduced, but not entirely gone. I'm not sure it can be with just a detachable windshield. Due to ordering the DX style windshield I was able to get rid of most of the extension hardware needed to make it work with the DX visor / budman riser.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures as the shield is in storage at the house (use only for long trips or when it is colder out) and the V is at my other garage.

For reference I'm 5' 10".

·
Registered
187 Posts

Only two I could find on my cell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have the hardware for the detachable shield (genuine H-D stuff to go with my genuine H-D reduced reach handle bars). I just have to decide on a replacement shield.

My stock shield measures 18.25" from the light cut-out to the top of the shield. I really like the recurved edge on the Clearview shields, but I am concerned that only having a 2.75" increase in height (21" total) is not going to do the trick (unless that recurved edge truly works some magic). I am 6'2".

The Rifle one comes in at 22". Or, I could drop another $35 and have them custom-cut me one at 24", giving me almost 6" of additional height. I really hate that helmet buffeting and need it completely gone. I'd only clip the damn thing on for highway rides in which I'd be spending some extended seat time on the highway.

I suppose I could clip mine on again and test with a straight edge or something to see exactly where 21", 22" and 24" ends....\

Jay F - thanks for the photos.

If anyone else has some real-world experience they would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow...been a WHILE since I made it back here. If anyone is still interested, I am going to sell my windshield. It has sat in my basement for nearly a year. I am not going to use it.
If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll snap some pictures. In the meantime, I'll snap some pics when I get to it and list it in the classifieds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow...been a WHILE since I made it back here. If anyone is still interested, I am going to sell my windshield. It has sat in my basement for nearly a year. I am not going to use it.
If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll snap some pictures. In the meantime, I'll snap some pics when I get to it and list it in the classifieds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pics here. NOTE: only the polycarbonate windshield is for sale. hardware is NOT included in sale
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt

1 - 20 of 26 Posts