Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put these on their bike?

If so, did you get any type of performance gain?

I have an 06 SE2 that is topless, rinehart 2-2, Stage1 race tune, K&N, 26T pulley and want more power and am wondering if these will give it to you

Thanks!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
You'll see better gains with a set of cams. I think a 58mm throttle body would help more with more aggressive cams.

I'd start there. :2cents:

·
Registered
267 Posts
You might see a small gain. It's probably not worth it though unless you ride WOT a lot. IMHO. To use remedial performance theory 101 "An engine is an air pump. If you can move more air through it, you will get more power. Changing just the intake or just the exhaust won't gain much unless that componenet is a restriction in the pump system." This "restriction" has a greater effect on output if it is in the exhaust rather than the intake. Especially on a multi port intake where the intake pulses are so far apart and the intake tract is long. There is more than enough intake volume to supply the cylinder under most riding conditions with the stock TB. Again IMHO.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
I agree with hogster, for one thing there are two low and mid points on each cam (one on each side as the cam rotates and the valve followers rise and fall) and only one point of maximum lift per revolution. Don't expect a new intake device to be a magic power increase across the whole operating band of the engine's rpm range. You have to figure out where you want the most power. This month's Hot Bike, Volume 39, No. 8 has an excellant discussion of Cylinder Head Science, Does more flow mean more go? Get a copy if you can and read up on the flow characteristics of an internal combustion motor, it could help answer some of your questions and help you spend your money more wisely.

·
Registered
277 Posts
58mm TB: No feelable difference

The dyno may see up to 5 more hp but you won't feel anything different when you give it the gas.

·
RICK
648 Posts
don't waste your money until you need it-more engine=more air needed. They would be the last mofication I did!

·
Lets Ride...
475 Posts
Been there, done that. Along with the stuff you've already done it's not worth it until you do the cams.

·
RICK
648 Posts
I noticed you are thinking about a turbo-If you do, you won't need the throttle body. The plenum will have to be reworked to accept the larger throttle body. I'f you do the turbo and throttle body, the horsepower gains with the throttle body will be minimal. I wouldn'y spend the money unless you are looking for the absolute maximum power available(a few extra horses)

·
Registered
239 Posts
7-8 hp which is more than most cams will add,,, dont use the destroyer inj's though... also need to use RT to tune accordingly...

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Vr Master said:
7-8 hp which is more than most cams will add,,, dont use the destroyer inj's though... also need to use RT to tune accordingly...
:them:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so doing the cams don't add that much either...I am a car engine builder and never have built a bike engine...I am certain that they are somewhat similar so I am familiar with the theories of the engine pump...I know that just a cam is not a magic potion as with soloing other engine components...but heads, cam and intake make some nice numbers...

question: how come only 6-7 hp with a cam change...is it really that hard to make hp with these things?

thanks for everyone's input and keep it coming

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
03svtsnakevert said:
question: how come only 6-7 hp with a cam change...is it really that hard to make hp with these things?

thanks for everyone's input and keep it coming
Yes it is difficult unless you open them up and go bigger cc. Heads do not show huge improvement because stock heads flow so well, which I think minimal improvement is shown with cams on stock 1130.

Just look at the results of the SE Big Bore 1250 kits. 10-15% HP improvement with ported heads, mild cams, AND more displacement.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
o2man98 said:
Yes it is difficult unless you open them up and go bigger cc. Heads do not show huge improvement because stock heads flow so well, which I think minimal improvement is shown with cams on stock 1130.

Just look at the results of the SE Big Bore 1250 kits. 10-15% HP improvement with ported heads, mild cams, AND more displacement.
well, I mean mine is a 1250 (SE2) already...so if I added a more aggressive cam would I pick up some nice numbers??

·
VRSCX #395
206 Posts
i have looked into this as well, done a search and found a couple of people who have added hotter cams and 58 throttle bodies, and got 130hp which is about 10hp more than the average se1250.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
croctail said:
i have looked into this as well, done a search and found a couple of people who have added hotter cams and 58 throttle bodies, and got 130hp which is about 10hp more than the average se1250.
ok, well with my current mods I should be around 125...so maybe this is something I should look in to...I wonder what the cost is for a 1400+cc kit???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts