Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on my Destroyer installing a racepak I brought through Vreelands from another owner, BUT this is where my problem starts, when I go to start the bike and hit the ON switch to start the cycle process (don’t know if I’m saying it correctly) the cycling doesn’t stop ?? As with my other bikes I hit ON and you hear the cycle begin and it ends after a few seconds, then I hit the start button.. but now for whatever reason the cycle continues, so of course after the second or third attempt to get the cycle to end (it doesn’t) but when I hit start it starts immediately ???
has anyone gone thro something like this ??? is this something I should worry about ?? Would really like to fix so any input will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
VRSCAW 2010
27 Posts
I guess you mean fuel pump buzzing as it primes the fuel rail when you talk about "cycling"?
My start up is like you described too; first the main power, then the ON- switch, couple of seconds of fuel pump sound and then START.
If the injectors are not leaking the fuel in to the cylinders while "cycling" I wouldn`t be worried about that sound.
Does the "racepak" replace the original ecm or what?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Been working on my Destroyer installing a racepak I brought through Vreelands from another owner, BUT this is where my problem starts, when I go to start the bike and hit the ON switch to start the cycle process (don’t know if I’m saying it correctly) the cycling doesn’t stop ?? As with my other bikes I hit ON and you hear the cycle begin and it ends after a few seconds, then I hit the start button.. but now for whatever reason the cycle continues, so of course after the second or third attempt to get the cycle to end (it doesn’t) but when I hit start it starts immediately ???
has anyone gone thro something like this ??? is this something I should worry about ?? Would really like to fix so any input will be greatly appreciated
Fuel pressure is not holding. That is my guess why it is cycling. If that’s correct, There is seepage somewhere. The destroyer has eight injectors so there are eight possibilities. Anywhere a fuel hose connection is will be another possibility.

The problem might also be electrical. Such as a switch with a short causing the fuel pump to think that you were turning the bike on and off over and over again. If your bike is cycling at an even intervals then this might be the cause. If your bike is cycling at even intervals then it is less likely to be an electrical problem.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Fuel pressure is not holding. That is my guess why it is cycling. If that’s correct, There is seepage somewhere. The destroyer has eight injectors so there are eight possibilities. Anywhere a fuel hose connection is will be another possibility.
V Rods do not have a fuel pressure switch and do not use fuel pressure to determine the run cycle. It is purely a 2sec. pulse to the relay from the ECM to prime the system and it will remove this signal regardless of whether there is pressure or not. I have not worked on a Destroyer but I doubt this part of the system is any different to a conventional V Rod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you mean fuel pump buzzing as it primes the fuel rail when you talk about "cycling"?
My start up is like you described too; first the main power, then the ON- switch, couple of seconds of fuel pump sound and then START.
If the injectors are not leaking the fuel in to the cylinders while "cycling" I wouldn`t be worried about that sound.
Does the "racepak" replace the original ecm or what?
No the racepak just tells you exactly what is going on on the track from start to finish so you can make adjustments to hopefully go faster, but like someone else said there is no fuel pump primer just the eco startup, but it never did this before and nothing is different except the racepak ???

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
No the racepak just tells you exactly what is going on on the track from start to finish so you can make adjustments to hopefully go faster, but like someone else said there is no fuel pump primer just the eco startup, but it never did this before and nothing is different except the racepak ???
Have you tried disconnecting the Racepak to see if it returns to normal? I have just been reading the installation manual for the Racepak and see no reason for this to have happened other than making sure you have definitely connected it to the correct Deutsch connector.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Only thing on the bike I think could do repeated cycling like that is the system relay acting like an old time flasher unit for signals. Heats up, kicks out and repeats the cycle. Try replacing it for starters. No experience with Racekpak to know if it's possible for that to cause such a problem.
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried disconnecting the Racepak to see if it returns to normal? I have just been reading the installation manual for the Racepak and see no reason for this to have happened other than making sure you have definitely connected it to the correct Deutsch connector.
No haven’t tried that thought about it but seen no reason too….. but will give it a shot anyway

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only thing on the bike I think could do repeated cycling like that is the system relay acting like an old time flasher unit for signals. Heats up, kicks out and repeats the cycle. Try replacing it for starters. No experience with Racekpak to know if it's possible for that to cause such a problem.
Ron
No haven’t done that either, not sure if I am thinking of the same thing you are ??? The system relay correct ?/??

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
No haven’t tried that thought about it but seen no reason too….. but will give it a shot anyway
Personally I think it's an important part of diagnosing the problem. If that is all you have done is fit the Racepak then it needs to be eliminated from the equation. Timing could be a coincidence but who knows. If the problem does go away when it is removed I only see 2 possible reasons. One is it is faulty and causing the problem, or two, I saw in the manual they were concerned about the selection of the wrong Deutsch connector. Something like this could well cause some kind of error. If the problem persists after disconnecting it, at least you can go back to basic diagnostics like system relay as Ron mentioned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I think it's an important part of diagnosing the problem. If that is all you have done is fit the Racepak then it needs to be eliminated from the equation. Timing could be a coincidence but who knows. If the problem does go away when it is removed I only see 2 possible reasons. One is it is faulty and causing the problem, or two, I saw in the manual they were concerned about the selection of the wrong Deutsch connector. Something like this could well cause some kind of error. If the problem persists after disconnecting it, at least you can go back to basic diagnostics like system relay as Ron mentioned.
I agree with everything you said I am going to disconnect racepak today and see where that brings me, I will post an update and maybe a video if I can figure how to download

1 - 11 of 11 Posts