Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to gather another set of tins, or use my OEM's, and have Krazy Karl (Andy Hawks) paint that set to emulate HD's Denim paint in black, so I can give the bike a new, different look now and then. A lot of hot rods get this type of finish. Andy and I talked about this tonight. Basically, you use a base coat, and clear with a flat/satin clearcoat.

How does the HD denim paint hold up to wear and tear?
Is it cleared?
If you buff it, will it get glossy?
How do you maintain it?....wax?

thanky

·
Registered
322 Posts
I "maintain" mine w/ ammonia-free glass cleaner and a microfiber towel. Owner's maual says not to use any wax/glossing products nor any carwash detergent containing the same. Very easy to keep clean.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ask because I was once told that paint keeps its gloss thru waxing because the wax keeps the paint from ever drying completely. If Denim can't be waxed, doesn't that mean it will completely dry, and then deteriorate?

Perhaps the new paint technology is ahead of me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
H-D says the denim paint is supposed to gain "character" with age...
Translation: it will deteriorate and age, showing scuffs I assume.

H-D says one can use the Harley Gloss on the denim as a dressing but I stick to the glass cleaner.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
My denim scuffs (not scratches) most where my jacket zippers hit the air box. However the little scuffs come off when I S100 it, so I don't think it affects the paint much. I do NOT wax it, and occasionally use Windex wipes with no ill effects either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts