Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 had a slew of variations and models, so with only 3 models in 08, is it the beginning of the end? Is the moco going to take another direction with the REVO engine? Although I consider myself a member of the "new" generation of Harley, will our VRODs be relegated to quaint collector status? I realize no one will have the answers and like the old adage goes, only time will tell.......... I just had to write it down, sorry if I belabor the subject if it was addressed earlier.
Furthermore, I saw an add out here today for a perfect 06 Streetrod, 700 mi with extras for 12,500 or "best offer." Nobody wants these bikes? Is it because Harley built a "real" motorcycle the old-school Harley riders scorn and non-Harley riders don't want because it's a Harley?
Still, my almost stocker goes 11.95 down the strip under my amateur guidance, not bad for a Harley or any other cruiser.
Oh, follow-up question.....is the Destroyer still in production and if so any forecasts on its future? I saw one at Shenandoah Harley for 19k (new of course), wish I had an extra 20K to blow!!!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
In short no the v-rod will be around for a long time. The rumor mill abounds with rumors of things that have already passed test and just shelfed because with the DX being such a hit last year there was no need to make more changes. I think you can look for the revolution to get some updates for strength and some changes made to it in the next couple of years and my guess is that it will even see yet another increase in displacement. But the bike itself and the sales of the bike have never been so good, would seem like a poor time to give up when it finally catches on. :)

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
I'm with Max on this one..... It has brought a whole new set of customers to the MoCo with it's performance and looks. Only 11.95 at the track.... better practice up and come to Mid-West Thunder next year....:D there's an award for Fastest Stock V-Rod

HoldHard

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Max said:
In short no the v-rod will be around for a long time. The rumor mill abounds with rumors of things that have already passed test and just shelfed because with the DX being such a hit last year there was no need to make more changes. I think you can look for the revolution to get some updates for strength and some changes made to it in the next couple of years and my guess is that it will even see yet another increase in displacement. But the bike itself and the sales of the bike have never been so good, would seem like a poor time to give up when it finally catches on. :)
Not only that, but I think most of your traditional riders are giving the bike more respect. Here in my neck of Michigan in years past, most riders didn't know nothing about it other than it was the new Harley model and they didn't like it. The V-Rod took a few years to take off but now I am seeing more than ever just about everyday...most being DX's or VRSCA's/B's. Many bikers formed an opinion based on a jack ass sitting in the bar next to them that had nothing better to do than dog the VR. Now, I get guys asking me about it since the Harely drag team's been kicking ass and they have something to cheer about/root for for the first time in a long time. Not only that, but most guys only have seen VR's in the stock form with no exhaust mods. Honestly, I can see why they wouldn't like the VR if that's all they seen or heard. I have changed more than one attitude about our VR's just with exhaust alone. The guys at work used to raz the sound until I went through my exhaust addiction. Hearing the bike stock, then hearing it with Jug Huggers, CFR, Supertrapp, self mods, and now the Rinehart 2-1 lets them know it is a real Harley with a unique sound. I cannot wait to hear opinions once I get my Cyclesmith handlebars on and set my airbrush and sprayguns loose on it! :angeldev: .....or when I am finally able to afford the Buell wheel conversion and a turbo later in the future. :broke:

I seen a lotta posts where people mention getting dogged by airhead riders. I only had one instance of that the first season I had the bike where the person had ill intentions, but aside casual/friendly shit talking I have not encountered it since. With the gains HD has made with the DX and AW coupled with the popularity over seas, I think the V-Rod is an expanding market still at this point and has yet to peak. The bottom line doesn't lie, but the perception put off by those that are too insecure to think outside the box and change with the times will and do. Basically, I believe the "doom and gloom" perception of the future of our bikes are rooted more in just that....perception festered by those that really don't know Jack.

Heck, even if they trash the VR models altogether I will still be riding my 2003 VRSCA. I am very connected to this bike as I was my Sportster. The only difference with my Sportster is that it was the best bike that suited my needs at the time. This bike IS my needs in a bike.

Later
Gary

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
"Furthermore, I saw an add out here today for a perfect 06 Streetrod, 700 mi with extras for 12,500 or "best offer.""

Hi, new to the group. Just picked up my first V-rod. A 06 nightrod, under 700 mi w/ extras for under $12,000. I kind of feel like I stole it, and it feels good.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I agree with the comment about more respect from the ol' school. I'm starting to see the 1% riders on them. Not too many folks giving them grief for what they're riding. lol

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Congrats on stealing that bike!

·
Registered
246 Posts
what?

You are an idiot. Harley finally build a real motorcycle? Huh? You are one of the "new harley crowd" or some schitt? If it walks, talks, and smells like a duck, it must be a duck. You walk, talk, and smell like yuppie scum.:moon:

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Max said:
But the bike itself and the sales of the bike have never been so good, would seem like a poor time to give up when it finally catches on. :)
I read a magazine article lately that stated "the VROD has quietly became a top seller, especially in Europe".

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Even if it hasn't sold well compared to the airheads, it is STILL a big selling bike, and has stolen sales from other brands rather than other models in the Harley range.

Also, Harley is keen to crack the European market, and the Rod is slowly doing it.

What slows it down is that AMF for years chucked out the same obsolete bikes and sold them on the basis they were American and traditional and that mattered more than being any good.

Since the AMF days ended Harley have tried hard to make decent bikes, but they've been hoist by their own petard - America has (I'm told) bought into that good 'ol Harley thing AMF told them and doesn't want any new fangled stuff. Harley can hardly run ads saying "Look, we fooled you for years with this archaic pushrod stuff, but now we have a proper bike..." so they have to keep putting fancier and fancier technology on the old engines, because that's what sells.

The rest of the world however has run away screaming at the idea of Harleys, and the V-Rod is now slowly tempting them back. My dealer / importer has a V-Rod picture on the back of the van, V-Rod fronting the website, V-Rods in the showroom, and apparently most of the bikes he sells are V-Rods (actually DXs).

End of the V-Rod? No. They sell them, they make money, they get new buyers, and they have a foothold in the 21st century for when the airheads are legislated off the roads by emissions regulations.

Less models? Sure - most buyers (here at least) want DXs.

My two cents - it probably looks different the American side of the pond.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
gjbedna said:
07 had a slew of variations and models, so with only 3 models in 08, is it the beginning of the end? Is the moco going to take another direction with the REVO engine? Although I consider myself a member of the "new" generation of Harley, will our VRODs be relegated to quaint collector status? I realize no one will have the answers and like the old adage goes, only time will tell.......... I just had to write it down, sorry if I belabor the subject if it was addressed earlier.
Furthermore, I saw an add out here today for a perfect 06 Streetrod, 700 mi with extras for 12,500 or "best offer." Nobody wants these bikes? Is it because Harley built a "real" motorcycle the old-school Harley riders scorn and non-Harley riders don't want because it's a Harley?
Still, my almost stocker goes 11.95 down the strip under my amateur guidance, not bad for a Harley or any other cruiser.
Oh, follow-up question.....is the Destroyer still in production and if so any forecasts on its future? I saw one at Shenandoah Harley for 19k (new of course), wish I had an extra 20K to blow!!!
Along with the statements made by other forum members I would add that 2008 is a model year that saw several models go away. If the moco is weeding out the line, it usually means that they need the production capacity to add other models. This year they are adding the Rocker next year they may well add other models including one or two in the V-rod line up.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Jackflash said:
You are an idiot. Harley finally build a real motorcycle? Huh? You are one of the "new harley crowd" or some schitt? If it walks, talks, and smells like a duck, it must be a duck. You walk, talk, and smell like yuppie scum.:moon:
There goes John causin problems again.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Louis said:
What slows it down is that AMF for years chucked out the same obsolete bikes and sold them on the basis they were American and traditional and that mattered more than being any good.

2 Points here.

1- If you do a little research you will find that if not for AMF, Harley-Davidson would probably not exist today. AMF's problem was that it tried to use manufacturing techniques that are common today, but not defined enough when they tried to use them. But they basically came in a bought a company that was worn out.

2- Europeans ALWAYS are open to, willing to experiement with, and are basically the pathmakers for cutting edge motorcycle styles. I built a 1200 Bandit a few years ago MILD by European street fighter standards. No one here understood that bike at all.

From what I have read, the VROD was way more important to Harley as a foothold into Europe than any potential US sales.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Jackflash said:
Yup, I am one of the "new Harley crowd". 30 years of owning air cooled Harleys and now I own a VROD....an prefer it. Go away fossil, you and your breed, and your motorcycle, are headed where the dynosaurs live.

I know, I know.....Knuckleheads forever right?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The VROD is not going anywhere...it is here to stay, the bike has earned it!! I am sure they will come out with new versions in the not to distant future!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
When I started to count them up I thought I was wrong (maybe I am) isn't 08 the seventh model year? Sounds pretty successful to me.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The VROD was born in 2002, you can do the math from there

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I like the best of both worlds. I will probably never sell the geezer glide, but I love the R.

And AMF saved HD by funding the design of the EVO and Nova projects. Read a book!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts