Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys and gals time to replace my at least 5 year old battery in my 06 D as preventive maintenance. I saw a write up here a while ago but am not sure it will be any different for this model as opposed to that model. I just have to ask, why do these manufacturers make getting to such an easy item so damn difficult? On my beemer you have to remove the entire gas tank, some painted panels and even the seat to get to the battery. Oh yes, you better have some hose pinchers handy if the bike doesn't have quick disconnects, you'll need those as well to make sure no gas is dripping from the fuel lines you just disconnected!
Any other tips to make it easy for a non mechanical type to get this job done? I bought a Deka battery BTW from Bohannon's. $70 bucked shipped to my home.
Deka is what is in the bike now, labeled with a phony HD label.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
purchase the service manual
Believe me, I am going to one of these days. (it just one of those things I keep forgetting to buy) In the mean time, is there a D owner here who's done it? Any little tricks or hints?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've been using a battery tender on both bikes. Its extended the life of the batteries by two to three years.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Grab the rubber battery retainer, stretch it up over the front airbox locating pin grommets, and the hard part is over.

GET THE MANUAL, it pays for itself.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if you click on the "How to" link in my signature, you will finds lots and lots of write ups including one for swapping the battery. Even have pictures. The swap is not difficult but is time consuming since you mus remove the airbox housing.
Hell, while you're in there you might as well change the spark plugs, or at least pull, clean, and regap them.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using a battery tender on both bikes. Its extended the life of the batteries by two to three years.

I do the same, but I think 5 or 6 years is good enough with a battery. Best to change now under preventative measures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts