Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate not knowing what people are talking about. What is the exact meaning of a Stage 1 upgrade? It seems to imply a standard set of mods and that there is a Stage 2, 3, etc. Ive seen this in reference to cars also.
Learn me somthin new...

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
There is no stage 2 yet for the v-rod.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Sorry got BB on my mind alot lately,father in law just went stage 2 on his fatboy.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
If they ever come out with a bore kit or cams for the V-Rod then I suppose they (HD) would start using the "Stage" terminology. Usually it indicates various degrees of modifications. Stage 1 is typically just pipes, Air Filter and a new Flash (there would be 2 Stage 1's for the V-Rod, Slip Fit and 16ga). Stage 2 would build on Stage 1 with Cams and a new flash and Stage 3 would include Stage 1 + Stage 2 + Bore kit and new flash. That's assuming they ever move beyond just pipes and air filters for the V-Rod. :(

For now there's no "Stage" terminology for the V-Rod, just pipe and flash options.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Aside from the previous responses, this is the HD definitions for Stage 1, Stage 2, etc.

Stage 1. Convince the coustomer that the bike that the dealer told them was so cool doesn't have enough power and needs an upgrade... Charge $$

Stage 2. Convince the customer that the previous upgrade they just paid $$ money for is not powerfull enough and they need another upgrade... Charge $$$ (BTW, all previous upgrade charges are null and void, you don't get an upgrade discount going to level 2 from level 1, so you should have gone right to level 2.... but they didn't tell you that up front)

Stage 3. Tell the customer you can't do an inspection on their bike because the Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrades are not supposed to be for street legal bikes. Convinnce the customer that they have to go back to factory stock to pass inspection... Charge $$$

Stage 4. Tell the customer that they should go back to the stage 2 setup, but the cost they paid for the ECM flash and labor have to be paid again... Charge $$$

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
vrodvinny said:
father in law just went stage 2 on his fatboy.
Hopefully he will go into remission soon...

Seriously - I've been struck more than once by the irony in H-D using the terms "Stage 1", "Stage 2", etc. to describe their performance upgrade paths on their bikes. In most (non Harley riders) people's minds, these terms are used to describe how far a cancer has progressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts