Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a deer ran right into the throttle side of me on the way into work this morning. I stayed up but bikes a little bent in spots. all bolt on except the forks look tweeked so i need it looked at. I'm waiting on the ins guy before it hits the shop any advise with ins? this is my first bike claim I really hope it works out. here are a few pics

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1) nice to hear you are OK and the bike is relatively OK
2) dig out your receipts and print out replacement costs for your damaged parts
3) have coffee and or beer on hand when the adjuster comes out.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
and a gun, cuz he'll be a thief

·
Woverby
477 Posts
How how did the deer do :)?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Where in the world is Newfield?

What f**kin luck to have a deer run into you. Unbelievable.

Dumn deer........

Great bike though. Good luck getting it fixed up. Take care and watch out for those damn deer!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Glad your not a stat. I just missed a deer a few days ago friggin thing just stared at me as I locked up the breaks and prayed....

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Where in the world is Newfield?

What f**kin luck to have a deer run into you. Unbelievable.

Dumn deer........

Great bike though. Good luck getting it fixed up. Take care and watch out for those damn deer!
It is spelled "dumb" lol :hidesbeh:

Sry to hear about your misfortune. Main thing is your ALIVE! Gather all you canpaperwork wise, it would be nice if youst ill had some of the original packaging but its ok if you dont. Just be cool and be patience if at all possible. GL!

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Good save....glad you are ok :notworth:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok

My brother hit a deer a few years back and didn't fair near as well. He laid along the road for the better part of an hour. Traffic passing by, no one would stop. He was throwing rocks at the passing cars and finally hit one hard enough to get someone to stop. A paramedic unit responded, 5 days in ICU and bike was totalled. He did replace the windshield on the car he hit with a rock.

After the fact public records review......no one and I do mean NO ONE called 911 prior to the guy that stopped. The bike and deer were in the travel lane, he pulled himself to the side of the road to keep from getting run over and was a good place to get the rocks he threw, what BS.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Glad you're ok, deer are everywhere and scare the hell out of me. Truth is riding in NYC worries me less than riding on some roads in the tri-state area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the deer flopped around for a couple mins then stumbled off. not sure how far it got looked pretty bad for her. newfield is a small town in upstate ny thats loaded with deer. hopefully thats the last really dumb one i run into (wife may not be so understanding next time) i did however buy a couple lotto tickets but as it turns out my luck was all used up i guess still a little shocked i stayed up my self unbelievable how hard a deer can be. it smashed my knee into the frame on the way through. as for paperwork i have some from the work i've done to the bike but alot of it was already there when i bought it. i am working on replacement costs though

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
In the last picture, is that a Dunlop tire on the front? :hidesbeh:

Just messing with ya. Glad you're ok. I was in a wreck a few years back and everything worked out ok. I've stopped riding at night because of deer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes sir it is a Dunlop for now. The back tire has a gouge in it now so I'll get to change em both now. As well as update a few parts that took a hit I've got a decent list goin

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dangerous Season Here..........

In Northeast Pennsylvania this time of year it's really scary riding on any back road. I have friends that have been killed on bikes by white tail deer. We we're on a ride three weeks ago after dark on a back road and I told the guy I was riding with that if we don't hit a deer now we probably never will. Wouldn't you know it, I was leading because I had the HID headlights and a car right in front of me blasts one. By the time we got home we had seen six different groups of deer cross the road within our headlights but managed to miss them all. I'll stick to the highways from now until snow flies. When I was a kid I had just put a pair of expansion chambers on my Yamaha RD400 and was doing a plug test. Well I was ripping at over 100 mph and one jumped off a bank and I caught it with only my footpeg and managed to keep the bike upright. My heart was just screaming especially after I went back and saw the deer with half of it's head gone.
Ed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the good thoughts the meeting with the adjuster went well i seem to have gotten a fair price on everything. and he said the shop will handle anything that isn't listed or priced right. so maybe i wont have to worry. i was considering doing the work myself but im not sure if the forks are bent or if its just the fender mount. there's a shop down the street that was goin to install a new thunderheader for me so i'm heading down to see him thanks again and i think i may stick to daytime riding myself

·
Registered
221 Posts
We're just thankful you're here to write about it. Many are not that lucky. It's so bad where I live that during the rut (mating season) I won't drive back roads without a blocker vehicle in front of me. I actually pull over and wait for someone to lead and stay close to them so they take the hit. When I ride down the roads on my Rod it seems like every hundred yards or so you can smell a carcass rotting off the side of the road and the sad part about it is there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except not riding. Deer are the main reason I went with dual HID headlights. The only chance I have is to see them before it's to late and try to miss them. Counting the one I hit with a bike when I was young, I've hit and killed at least 15 of them and two bear. Again, we're just glad you're not a statistic and hope you get the bike fixed soon.
Respectfully,
Ed

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Glad you were able to keep it together. This is getting out of hand. jedi has another thread going on in the Off Topic Area about hitting a deer with his bike and one with his truck in the span of about one week. Luckily, He didn't go down either.

We must have some good riders on this forum:notworth:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144266

·
Registered
480 Posts
My brother hit a deer a few years back and didn't fair near as well. He laid along the road for the better part of an hour. Traffic passing by, no one would stop. He was throwing rocks at the passing cars and finally hit one hard enough to get someone to stop. A paramedic unit responded, 5 days in ICU and bike was totalled. He did replace the windshield on the car he hit with a rock.

After the fact public records review......no one and I do mean NO ONE called 911 prior to the guy that stopped. The bike and deer were in the travel lane, he pulled himself to the side of the road to keep from getting run over and was a good place to get the rocks he threw, what BS.
Unacceptable! Someone may be scared on the far chance that it may be a set up for a robbery or something. If someone is to chicken sh*t to stop, they should at least call 911 for help.

It is unfortunate to see how some members of our community fail to do anything to help out. When they need it, expectations will be different.

It is a sad day when people don't stop to help each other out in serious need.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts