Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mike
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had my closest brush with death last night that I ever care to have again in my life. Two of us are riding back from bike night around 11 o'clock. We come up on a wooded area that I know has potential for deer at any moment, so I slow down to about 45 mph. Well, the only problem, as it turns out, is that the ditches go straight down which makes it difficult to see anything down in them. So, sure enough out pops a deer from out of nowhere and out into the middle of my lane. I grab all the brake I can and fortunately at the same time the deer realizes he's about to be hit and starts to take off. I didn't quite clear him and hit his back leg with my front tire. Fortunately, it was a glancing blow. It probably swung the deer around but I managed to keep upright and continue down the road until, of course, when I had to stop and clean out my shorts. It was definitely a full size deer and would have been one helluva collision if I had hit him straight on. All I know is someone upstairs must have been looking out for me. I feel very fortunate to be sitting at my computer this morning able to write about this experience.

Be safe out there.

Mike

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
:eek: You, my friend, are VERY fortunate!

·
Mike
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how many times I've already replayed this thing in my head, but I don't think I'll be telling it to the wife in the very near future.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
jorgy4cy said:
Well, I had my closest brush with death last night that I ever care to have again in my life. Two of us are riding back from bike night around 11 o'clock. We come up on a wooded area that I know has potential for deer at any moment, so I slow down to about 45 mph. Well, the only problem, as it turns out, is that the ditches go straight down which makes it difficult to see anything down in them. So, sure enough out pops a deer from out of nowhere and out into the middle of my lane. I grab all the brake I can and fortunately at the same time the deer realizes he's about to be hit and starts to take off. I didn't quite clear him and hit his back leg with my front tire. Fortunately, it was a glancing blow. It probably swung the deer around but I managed to keep upright and continue down the road until, of course, when I had to stop and clean out my shorts. It was definitely a full size deer and would have been one helluva collision if I had hit him straight on. All I know is someone upstairs must have been looking out for me. I feel very fortunate to be sitting at my computer this morning able to write about this experience.

Be safe out there.

Mike

Smart driving:notworth: , glad you made it through!

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
Wow!!
Yep........you are very lucky.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Can you buy me a lottery ticket please?????

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
jorgy4cy said:
I don't know how many times I've already replayed this thing in my head, but I don't think I'll be telling it to the wife in the very near future.
EEp! I tend to not want to share those things with the wife too. Keep the shiny side up!

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Pretty scary I heard you scream like a girl from here. :D
Could have been a lot worse. You did the right thing well except for sheeting your pants. hee hee

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
I almost hit a deer about two months ago as I was taking my sportster in to have it inspected for a buyer who was to pick it up later that day. It was broad daylight, 1pm in the afternoon and I still don't know how I missed it. It did the start/studder/stop/look/start/studder/stop/look a couple of times and it came so close to my bike I could have reached out and petted it as it passed down the left side of my bike. As I looked behind me the deer was sprawled out on the pavement giving me a look like, what the hell just happened, which was basically about how I was feeling at the time. Needless to say I never told the wife.

06 VRSCR

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Glad that one turned out OK.
Don't tell the wife. My wife and I are close, and I tell her just about everything, but not the close calls...

·
THE DORK-ROD
344 Posts
You are lucky for sure. I still have another 2 or 3 weeks before I get back to work after hitting one on my bike.:banghead:

·
Mike
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out and bought a case of deer whistles on clearance. I think I can attach at least six of them to my helmet. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
glad you did not hit him full on and are well. Congratulations on making the right driving decisions.

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
new Iowegian biker fashion accessory, deer whistles on helmets. I actually came pretty close to one a month or so ago. It was after dark and I was riding around Bos Landen. Since thats pretty close to the lake, I know the deer are thick. I spotted one in the field about 30 yards to the right of me. I just slowed down to a stop and the deer decided to go ahead and cross in front of me, of course right in front of an oncoming cager who barely missed it.

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Scary situation to face. Glad it turned out positive.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
mikep said:
Can you buy me a lottery ticket please?????
:them: i want a lottery ticket also.... glad to hear you didnt crash. be safe

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Good job on keeping the shiny side up. Have you thought of adding the deer hunter automatic rifle mod to your bike? Glad you made it through ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts