Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- Has anybody experienced a decrease in the ground clearance with the V/H Competition exhaust? I have less lean angle on the right now and the header will scrape on the ground, where it used to be the foot peg- very annoying, not to mention dangerous. If you have this problem, has anybody done anything different to alleviate it? (other than getting a different exhaust).

I've emailed the company and they seem to be ignoring me. Of note, the website specifically states an increase in ground clearance on all VRSC models. Thanks.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Did you fit it yourself? There is a lot of adjustment available when you fit these pipes.
Slacken off the manifold nuts and pull the silencer towards you , you'll see that it moves the silencer upwards and outwards - just tighten the nuts when you've got it where you want it.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did- and I did notice that there was some movement with it, just wasn't sure I could get 5-10mm more which could make a difference. I will try repositioning it. Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did the same thing. Had the steelership put it on. As soon as I got home I repositioned it so that it wouldn't rub the ground. Also depends on shocks. If you are still running factory shocks and you weigh more than 175 lbs. Adjust them and click them firmer a click or two. If you go through a turn and roll the throttle your bike will suck down and drag pipes. Also when you adjust them, make sure you adjust them so they don't rub your motor casings. If you don't you will rub some serious marks in the side casings.

Once you get them adjusted where you like them. Make sure and check the header bolts once a week for a month to make sure that they are still tight. Once you tighten them a few times they will not work loose. You also can put two nuts on each to prevent the back off.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions let me know. I have been running mine for the past three years.

You can get a lot of movement by lifting it up and out. I moved mine almost an inch. But definitely adjust the shocks depending on your weight and if you have 2 up. 2 up you must firm the shocks up. I finally just put arnott air shocks on. These are a must. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Hey all- Has anybody experienced a decrease in the ground clearance with the V/H Competition exhaust? I have less lean angle on the right now and the header will scrape on the ground, where it used to be the foot peg- very annoying, not to mention dangerous. If you have this problem, has anybody done anything different to alleviate it? (other than getting a different exhaust).

I've emailed the company and they seem to be ignoring me. Of note, the website specifically states an increase in ground clearance on all VRSC models. Thanks.
This doesnot mean better clearance over stock. It is better clearance over the previous model pipe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice. I am running the stock shocks and have firmed them up - I weigh 170 lbs. Unfortunately it's still in the single digit temps up here so I wont be able to try it out for sometime, but I'm going to look into getting an improved shock now.

If they meant improved over the previous exhausts and not stock, they still should clarify it- it's very misleading how its worded now. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the performance and sound/quality of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Wow! you must be putting it waaaaaaaaaaay over to scrape...Every pic I've seen of that pipe shows it higher or as high as stock pipes at that area, by a longshot...?

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Wow! you must be putting it waaaaaaaaaaay over to scrape...Every pic I've seen of that pipe shows it higher or as high as stock pipes at that area, by a longshot...?
No, its actually pretty low to the ground. I drag all of the time. Keep in mind that this pipe was designed for drag racing not twisties... But I don't mind the dragging. Freaks everyone out at night...

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, its actually pretty low to the ground. I drag all of the time. Keep in mind that this pipe was designed for drag racing not twisties... But I don't mind the dragging. Freaks everyone out at night...
1 question.....Do you run those Arnotts set down low?
They make the bike look real cool but could be part of the problem?

On my '08 DX I had the levers and lower controls including the shift rod powdercoated...on this '09, will do the same, also with blk bars.

Getting fork boots and will vinyl wrap the uppers...have HD blk LED coming too
from www.2orangeharleys.com

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Depends on where im riding. But if I am riding twisties, I am all the way up which is a bit higher than stock. I ride pretty aggressive though. If you ain't scraping, you ain't ridin!!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts