Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I know this has been covered, but wanted to share my experience with you all. My replacement anniversary tank badge finally came in (6 months after being reported) and while I was getting it changed, I thought I would ask the service manager some questions. Now, I have had some good experiences with this guy... he has taken care of some things for me when needed, and even gone above and beyond the call a couple of times, so I fell a little bit of loyalty to him. However, I do feel that the dealership in general is robbing me anytime I walk in there. So, I mention that I am finally ready to do some performance upgrades to my baby, and what can I do that won't void my warranty. Without a blink, he grabs the '04 HD catalog and says "Screaming Eagle. ANYTHING else will void your warranty." I ask about the Race Tuner, knowing it's a race only application, and that is addressed in the warranty. He tells me that it is ok. Then quotes me "about a grand" for SE slip ons, SE1 download, SE filter, and R/t, including labor. So, judging from this, I will probably end up returning my extended warranty, and doing what I want. Kind of stinks, because, like I said, I feel like I have a good relationship with this guy. Oh well, thanks for the rant space.:soapbox: :blahblah:

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
I feel it too..

In my experience, dealing with the dealer has been great on the sales experience and not so great on the service.

I brought in my ’04 for the 1K service and to install some doo-dads. I’m perfectly capable of doing all wiring and mechanical work required for what I was installing but I wanted to maintain my warranty so I bit the bullet.

I had purchased my S/E slip-ons, filter and upload from Surdykes at a discount. I installed all but the upload. I was also installing some passing lights on the triple trees, kellerman signals up front and rizoma in the rear.

To make a long story short, they bitched that I had been able to purchase the upload. They loaded it but would not return the cartridge to me (is it usable in the future?), they scratched my handlebars doing?, overfilled the radiator reservoir and now the bike “pees” orange, my idle went up to 1200RPM, the wiring for the lights was crimped on with no relays, fuses, terminals, … and the wiring was run differently on both sides. The signals will not cancel on left turns anymore, …. Should I continue?

To top it off, they put 8 miles on the bike and wanted to charge me 1300 in labor. Also, it was promised in 1 day and it took them 5.

Frankly, I think the MoCo should get a bit more involved on customer care and straighten things out. I get more respect at the Chevy dealership and my truck only costs 36K vs the bike at 22.5 with warranty and tax.

I thought I would get special attention after paying all this $. :banghead

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Greg687 mine told me an RT would void my warranty, I ask them if an aftermarket chrome valve stem cap would effect warranty, they replied they would check. I canceled my extended warranty by phone and the service manager called me immediately and ask why would I ever do that. I explained that I planned on changing both valve stem caps with aftermarket. :)

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know Frank, I hope they havent looked at my valve stem caps.

I like your approach... sarcasm is the highest form of humor.
:cheers:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Greg,

You don't need the RT and the SE download, it comes with the RT but his price seems fair. Good to hear he takes the stand that if HD sells it he'll back it up. I was in shock when I had my Buell and ordered the race kit to be told it would void my warranty. I put in on anyway and told the dealer I'd see him is court if he voided anything that he couldn't prove was caused by the race kit. They serviced the bike without question after that :)

Max, :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

·
Registered
555 Posts
ErVikingo

It has been well documented on many of the boards. the MoCo is more interested in your $ and not the service. Calls to the HD customer support rarely produce a happy customer. I went to the HD website, pulled down their annual report found the board of directors and key personnel page and sent them all a letter of my frustrations with their product and true lack of support by the dealer network. That was a week ago. So far nothing has come happened.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
I'm baffled. I asked my dealer the same concerning my SE slip-ons, high flow, etc. he said that it would not affect anything except that there was no warranty on the race-specific parts. The service manager continued by saying that all of them put on high flow kits, etc also. hmmmmm I want to know the truth before I buy an extended warranty.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Crash the downside that I see is that it is dealer specific. It seems that they each makes his or her own rules as they go along and depending on the situation they make new rules. The thing that upset me most about my dealer was, they say any exhaust change voids engine warranty other then stock. Six months ago a member of this forum purchased a used V-Rod from them with a set of slashers that had been shortened with a hack saw. So I ask them how they offer warranty on that engine. They inform me it is fully covered since they are selling it that way. In other words it seems that the dealership makes different rules according to who owns the bike. When I ask them about the RT I was specific to mention that it would only be used with stock HD flashes for testing running topless. There response was that it still voided the engine warranty.

I guess it would be different if I didn't do warranty work every day for a living and know exactly what they can and can't void it's the fact that they simply make everything much harder then it needs to be. They can't void the warranty of the engine unless they can prove in a court of law that what I altered directly caused the failure. Here is the problem. The burden of proof will most likely be at my expense should it ever come into question.

With that said I decided I would take the 90% of the unused part of my warranty and have it returned and do my own work which I trust much more anyway.

Max

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have worked for new car dealers and you are right that it is usually dealer desgretion.Some of the reason is called EPUR.Expense Per Unit Repair. If alot of repairs in one area of the vehicle are performed at said dealer and other dealers in the zone or nation wide are not it's red flag time.A warranty audit costs thousands.Sometimes I think Harley dealers are covering their asses,even with factory extended warranty.There should be a zone rep that could be contacted to possibly help get a void of warranty issue resolved.If an internal engine component failed and we have our PC111s,Harley downloads and RTs properly calibrated to our add-ons they legally don't stand a chance in a meideation or civil court.Factory reps are smart and I've seen most problems resolved in the service managers office,90% or more to the customers delight.Remember Harley dose not want us to have a motorcycle.They want us to own 2 or 3!

Elrod on the V=Rod

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Elrod,

That's pretty much what I've seen as a customer and close friend to a few dealers in my younger days.

One caveat with the extended warranty, every repair MUST be approved PRIOR to the repair being performed AND you must approve the labor for diagnostics and if the repair isn't approved you're stuck with the diagnostic tab! I may do what Max and Frank did and cash in the warranty and take my chances.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Chris" the service manager here in San Antonio{Alamo HD} I wont void any warranty unless it looks like "YOU" INSTALLED it wrong or have abused the bike, and I can't get it around the MOCO. Also if we establish a relationship....meaning, you let use do some of the work.
That seemed fair to me, and thus far has worked out good. Chris will go out of his way to get things right, on the few problems I had after picking up bike from service, and I didn't even buy the rod from them.I guess it makes a difference when most of the tech are riding newer bikes with serious mods.
But on the other hand, have seen plenty of guys new to the dealership , and riding in general, get the prices listed on the wall for service. guess it's paying your do's in this game. IT SHOULDN'T be like that, but...............

·
AMF
423 Posts
If the dealer service manager does not want to cover something for whatever reason he won't. The main problem is the manufactures will not put IN WRITING what they consider to be warranty voiding modifications. This leaves to decision of coverage up to the individual manager. Nobody knows what the individual dealer is on restriction for. He could have been charged back for a particular repair and does not want to make the same mistake. Dealers usually are on restriction for certain types of repairs, because of frequency or lack of certification. If you are a customer of the dealership you stand a better chance of coverage without hassle.

The reason that extended warranties require you to authorize diagnostics up front is because, until it is verified that the repair is covered under the contract, they have no responsibility for your vehicle. Somebody has to pay for the time spent diagnosing the problem. Technicians do not work for free and most don't get a salary, they only get paid for the actual time spent or sold (flat rate time). Most people never take the time to read the contract terms that fully explain this prior to purchase. They believe the salesperson who tells them that everything is covered, only to find out later that's not the case, there is not a contract in the world that covers everything.

I still think a service contract is a good deal for most. You only need to use it one time to pay for itself if the repair is major. With todays electronics running the entire vehicle, a single electronic control module can cost $800 not including labor and diagnostics. Most people do not budget for that type of repair and with a small deductible your out of pocket expense is minimal except for loss of use. And I think most people could not perform this type of repair themselves.

My :2cents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts