Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from the local dealer. Got a quote for chrome solids wheels and 16 guage pipes. They want 5 hours labor! Service manager says at least 2 hours per wheel plus one hour for the pipes. I find that hard to believe. They charge $75hr labor. I get 10% off parts and labor. The total out the door is $2500.00 So in your honest opinion what do you think the actual labor time would be? The dealer was making it sound like he was doing me a favor.

I may just do the chrome exchange with Chopper Steve and save $500.00 on the wheels. If I get enough balls i may even attempt to install the 16 guage pipes myself. Thoughts suggestions? :slap: :confused:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't they have to go by whatever hours labor it shows in the book? I remember hearing "That's what it calls for in the book."

I personally wouldn't have a clue as to how long it would take a wrenchhead... I do good to turn it on and ride it!!!

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
You could do the pipes yourself.Shouldn't take more than 2 hours.I did my supertrapp in about 1 1/2hrs.
Get yourself a service manual and remove the wheels yourself and just have the dealer do the tires.You'll save big bucks.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I don't know what the book says but I guess about 1 hour per wheel, including the dismount, mount and balance of the tires. The pipes are maybe another hour. I wouldn't think it should cost you more than $225 - $250 in labor for the work.

·
Submariner
186 Posts
TBAG809 said:
I just got home from the local dealer. Got a quote for chrome solids wheels and 16 guage pipes. They want 5 hours labor! Service manager says at least 2 hours per wheel plus one hour for the pipes. I find that hard to believe. So in your honest opinion what do you think the actual labor time would be? The dealer was making it sound like he was doing me a favor.
I asked a similar question about labor times, and was provided this link:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/harleyhog1/04hd_jtc-eng.pdf_

That should answer your labor time question. Several people also indicated the dealer generally bumps the rate by a factor of 1.25 to 1.50, so keep that in mind as well.

The pipes should be easy enough to install yourself, just follow the manual and its a piece of cake!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
TBAG that sounds way out of line to me. They sound about right maybe even cheap on the exhaust but more then twice the going rate on the labor of the wheels. Front wheel takes about 10minutes to R+R if your going really slow and rear wheel for an experiened tech should be about 20 minutes round trip. And even my dealer that was a pirate in a former life does the mount and balance for a half hour labor. It even makes it easier if the exhaust is already off when you do the wheels. Sounds like your dealer is like my dealer and thats why my dealer doesn't get another red cent of my money.

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mjw930 said:
I don't know what the book says but I guess about 1 hour per wheel, including the dismount, mount and balance of the tires. The pipes are maybe another hour. I wouldn't think it should cost you more than $225 - $250 in labor for the work.

My total labor cost out the door is $365.00 :(

·
its safe to surf
136 Posts
I just had my 16 guage pipes done at the stealer and they charged me 1.5 hr for the pipes plus 1.5 hr for the down load plus $149 for the software. at $80 an hour..needless to say i got ****ed bad..live and learn... :chair:

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
WHAT? it took me like 30 Min's to get the exhaust off (while sipping tea) and about 30 Min's to get them back on (took time so i would not scratch anything )

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
WORM said:
Tbag when you are ready I will help you...
labor rate is $0/hour

What Mark means is $0/hour, 4 beers/hour however. :)

And thank you chris for the labor guide, I see it calls for 0.5 for the front wheel and 0.8 for the rear wheel including bearings.

Max

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I had to pay labor for changing both tires (tires were under warranty), and also the add for Syn oil($40). So I'm guessing they charged me $160 for changing both tires. HD N Dallas.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What a site!!! We all need this kind of info. MAX is there a place that this can be put to give everybody some quick info and maybe some leverage when talking to there dealer-stealer.

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WORM said:
Tbag when you are ready I will help you...
labor rate is $0/hour
WORM,

If you help me do the pipes that would be awesome! I`ll take you up on that deal! I`ll buy all the beer and food..... :hyper:

I think I`ll wait on the wheels for a bit until I sell my quad. It just seems like too much money in their pocket. I may go with a PM Gatlin in the front with a Solid Chrome rear wheel later or I may opt for some OZZY SKINS.... :thumb:

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Worm you are the man! Thank you! I`ll pick up the pipes this weekend. I have some construction going on here at the house so possibly next weekend, Saturday or Sunday if you are available? PM me....

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just looked at that labor rate chart and saw how much they were ripping me off. Frustrating......... :banghead: :chair: :eatme: :whack: :spank:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts