Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three attempts they got it I hope. That annoying cluck I could hear at low speeds when I went over small ruts or potholes. They told me the steering Head Bearing needed adjustment? Now I just have to figure a way to make the MoCo pay for the service one would think that a 17K dollar bike would not need the bearings adjusted with just over 4K miles on it ????? or if it did it would be under warrantee? We will see.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
The "Fall Away" (Head Bearings) adjustment is a normal service item. It should be checked on a periodic basis every 10K miles or so.

·
Registered
818 Posts
After three attempts they got it I hope. That annoying cluck I could hear at low speeds when I went over small ruts or potholes. They told me the steering Head Bearing needed adjustment? Now I just have to figure a way to make the MoCo pay for the service one would think that a 17K dollar bike would not need the bearings adjusted with just over 4K miles on it ????? or if it did it would be under warrantee? We will see.
One word WARRANTY

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you!

Thats what I figured but when I picked it up they tried to give me a load of crap telling me that it was an adjustment & usually it would only be covered if it happened under 1000 miles? They were going to check with the Mo.Co. & see if they would pay for it I told them if they didnt I will never buy another bike or anything else stamped with the bar & Shield. Not that they care at least that has been the attitude I have been getting ever since I went to the dark side & bought the V-rod! Funny thing is my buddy had the same thing happen on his Street Bob & of course it was covered??????????? More & more I am feeling more comfortable riding & hanging with the street bikes.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
A steering head bearing adjustment is at the 1000 mile service. It was in 2007 anyway, and it needed it badly on mine by then. After that it shouldn't need it for quite a while on a 2009.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thats what I figured but when I picked it up they tried to give me a load of crap telling me that it was an adjustment & usually it would only be covered if it happened under 1000 miles? They were going to check with the Mo.Co. & see if they would pay for it I told them if they didnt I will never buy another bike or anything else stamped with the bar & Shield. Not that they care at least that has been the attitude I have been getting ever since I went to the dark side & bought the V-rod! Funny thing is my buddy had the same thing happen on his Street Bob & of course it was covered??????????? More & more I am feeling more comfortable riding & hanging with the street bikes.
I will honest here....if you buy a bike from a dealer and you are still within the factory warrenty and they say it is not covered it is because they are in need of money, lazy or just like ripping customers off.

The sign that you are with a good dealer is getting you in right away whether it's their money or yours, they get things covered uner warrenty when you did expect it, or it's covered when you are just past warrenty.

I am betting that they did not do the work at a 1000 miles. Just like you will find that most shops do not open the radiator shrouds and clean them out. I know it does not happen on mine as I took them apart to put a $100 bill with a note inside and to date thru a couple of services it is still there. Here in Alaska you need to have the shrouds pulled pretty regular if not running a set of screens, especially if you ride in the spring before all the sand is picked up. One service writer told me it was not required.

I know it's hard to find another dealer or one close but stop by and trust your 1st impression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts