Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My luck, i bring my bike in for the 28t pulley change last week, figured with the normal BS it would be 2 days and should have it back by friday. Well a week later and no phone calls from the dealer i stop by today to find my bike still sittin on the lift. They needed to order a tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't belive it, well anyway it's gonna be 70' and sunny all weekend and im probably gonna get boned. :laugh: One can only laugh :laugh:

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
I guess I'm confused I changed my 28 tooth in the garage with hand tools what tool do they need. :slap: :arrow: :slap:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said they needed some socket? I can only report what was told to me. Doesn't make much sense does it.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Man it sounds like they are giving you the cold shoulder. :hidesbeh:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Go down to the local Sears and get them one. ;)

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
Look here is the scoop. You need a 30mm socket that has been ground down to fit into the pulley. Some tool Manf. have a socket that will fit. Most of your H-D Techs have only Snap or Mac. It has to be ground down. H-D tells the Tech.,(this in the inst). But these sockets cost over $50 a piece. And if this is not a VR Tech., why should he do this for you? This is a question I have been asked by other Techs. They usually use mine if I am not at the shop. There tools are there life. But everyone knows, VRs are my life. Does this make sense? Get the Inst. Sheet from your dealer on the 28t. Have them make you a copy. Go somewhere and get a 30mm socket, grind it down to spec. and give it to your dealer. That will make an A** out of them. Later Ski.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ski,

The 12 point Craftsman socket fits fine without any mods. No need to trash a perfectly good $50 socket regardless of the the MoCo says.

Another option, by a 6 point impact style at any local parts store (discount, autozone) for $10 if you insist on a 6 point so you're not grinding on a $50 tool.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SKI is right, but S&K 30mm Shallow will fit it just fine. Also, there is a puller kit that is required and quite specific. This kit does not come with the dealer set-up v-rod kit. You have to get it from snap-on and it is about $250.

If snap-on had to order it it could be a couple of weeks.

Not a biggie, but it still sucks.

Later,

BART

·
Hooligan
416 Posts
Sounds like my dealer ( :alien: ), which is why I am putting my HD 28t pulley on myself! If I need a special tool, I can find one or have it made. :sinister:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
we used a Normal craftsman 30mm this week pulling my motor.Do Have a Serious A$$ IMPACT because some of those Bad Boys are on TIGHT! :banghead:Any Puller Kit will work I have tried them all from the Snap on on to a Generic ASS Harbor Freight set.Take your time and it's really pretty easy.I'm much better at Breaking stuff then fixing and I changed out my own Pulley/Sprockets and removed Factory Flange"what ever it's called" to fix a leaking Seal.Took a Few Hour but was DOABLE! :cool:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
I used my 30MM Craftsman without any mods to it. Takes no time at all. Used my cheap, busted ass harbor freight puller. :moon:
See Getto Mechanics Works Just Fine for us Non Professionals! :goof: I will tell you this don't try and pull a motor by your self with Just Hand Tools! :yak:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
You think not having the tool is bad? Went to have the 10 grand checkup doen a few months back, and the mechanic found a staple in the rear tire. Damn, was PO'd, and had to replace the rear tire....They do not carry the stock tire in inventory, and had to special order it!!!! I am like WTF HD $tealer, are you in business or what?

Its a sick expensive joke when the dealerships (read $tealerships for the "F" rated wannabe $tealerships) won't do what they are supposed to do for their customers, and it seems like what is supposed to be customer service is a joke written on their mens latrine wall with a phone number to call.

·
Registered
51 Posts
bet you are glad he found the staple none the less.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
See Getto Mechanics Works Just Fine for us Non Professionals! :goof: I will tell you this don't try and pull a motor by your self with Just Hand Tools! :yak:
Unless your name is Frank Storms ;) The man who posted on the forum BEFORE he went to the hospital to get his broken bones fixed.....

Maybe he used an impact but I like my story better :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear that im not the only one that feels like im takin it in da a$$ @ the local stealer. Man, i wish i had the know how to all the work myself. Just wasn't blessed with it.

For those of you who were blessed take a moment out and say thanks. Cuz right now your probaly ridin,,,,,me....im typin on my dam computer at 1:30 in the afternoon on a 70 degree saturday..........

Peace

1 - 20 of 33 Posts