Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everyone has been such a huge help to me on this forum, I decided to try to give back by doing a how-to on my really simple garage door opener install. Hope this helps someone who doesn't want to mess with factory wiring or pay $130 for the Harley opener! (Each "step" in this tutorial is represented by a picture)

Step 1: Buy a switch from Radio Shack. There's a ton of different models, make sure you buy a "momentary switch" and pick a style that fits your bike - they're around $4.

Step 2: Open up your garage door opener and get to the circuit board.

Step 3: Solder a 22 gauge wire on to the contact points for the button that opens your garage door. Then drill small outlet holes on the side of the opener unit and run the wires through there and close up the unit.

Step 4: Mount the opener on your ecm box - I used 3M velcro strips for easy removal and re-attachment.

Step 5: Run the wires you soldered to a convenient location. I have a 2006 D and it fit perfectly above the ignition switch. I didn't even need any adhesive or silicone, but you may need some depending on where you decide to put it. Some of the switches have mounting screws so you can drill a hole if you want.

Step 6: Clean up the wires and zip tie the loose ends.

Step 7: Tape up the switch end and mount wherever you want. Again, mine fit perfect above the ignition switch.

That's it! For about $10 in parts and an hour of time you're all set with an easily removable garage door opener you can take out at any time if you decide you don't want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did the same last year but its in the space behind the screen on the right side. Works awsome.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did the same last year but its in the space behind the screen on the right side. Works awsome. Great minds think a like!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was originally going to put it there, but when I figured I could put it above the ignition I thought that was perfect. I'm glad to hear yours held up so far! Gives me hope for mine haha.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha...and yes, great minds do think alike. I feel like there's a lot of us great minds on this site!

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
I did one just like that in the past. Lasted between two bikes and five years of riding.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I used a pancake spatula from the dollar store for the bracket, wire from a car alarm, and a switch from radio shack. I have other pics of the build, so if any are interested sent me a pm with your email and ill send them to you. I will be doing the same to my wifes 09 nightster also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just picked up the goods to make one myself, pretty excited about not having to dig around in my pockets to open the garage

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad I could help!

Oh, and whoadragon....what grips are those on your handlebars? I like them.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Did the same thing a couple of years ago. Beats Harley's all to hell in function and cost and simplicity.
I mounted my switch on the same mount the horn bracket is on using a old shelf bracket straightened out. Out of site but easy reach.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Glad I could help!

Oh, and whoadragon....what grips are those on your handlebars? I like them.
I think they were Harley grips from a few years ago. I have returned to stock for looks and did not like the big fat grip feel so I gave them away!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just finished. Took a while to get the hang of the soldering iron(first time), but I got her done. Didnt use any silicon or anything to secure, but it seems to work fine without. Ill give it a couple weeks of use and see if I deem it necessary.

Great mod though, dont have to fiddle around for the opener anymore:notworth:

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Since everyone has been such a huge help to me on this forum, I decided to try to give back by doing a how-to on my really simple garage door opener install. Hope this helps someone who doesn't want to mess with factory wiring or pay $130 for the Harley opener! (Each "step" in this tutorial is represented by a picture)

Step 1: Buy a switch from Radio Shack. There's a ton of different models, make sure you buy a "momentary switch" and pick a style that fits your bike - they're around $4.

Step 2: Open up your garage door opener and get to the circuit board.

Step 3: Solder a 22 gauge wire on to the contact points for the button that opens your garage door. Then drill small outlet holes on the side of the opener unit and run the wires through there and close up the unit.

Step 4: Mount the opener on your ecm box - I used 3M velcro strips for easy removal and re-attachment.

Step 5: Run the wires you soldered to a convenient location. I have a 2006 D and it fit perfectly above the ignition switch. I didn't even need any adhesive or silicone, but you may need some depending on where you decide to put it. Some of the switches have mounting screws so you can drill a hole if you want.

Step 6: Clean up the wires and zip tie the loose ends.

Step 7: Tape up the switch end and mount wherever you want. Again, mine fit perfect above the ignition switch.

That's it! For about $10 in parts and an hour of time you're all set with an easily removable garage door opener you can take out at any time if you decide you don't want it.
Thanks, Great idea thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
good idea

·
But I AM standing up
166 Posts
I did the same thing awhile back. Instead of the momentary pushbutton switch, I used a momentary toggle switch. It is spring loaded to stay in the middle position but can be pushed to the left to control one door (main button on the remote) and to the right to control a second door (second button on the remote). I mounted the switch to the frame cross member that holds the fuse block. This helps to keep it out of the weather.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts