Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my new DX about 6 weeks ago and started west a week ago Monday. Anyway we got to New Mexico and started back to Florida. Got to Del Rio TX, stopped for the night and the next morning the alarm system wouldn't turn off. No HD shop in Del Rio. The code that I gave the dealer to install didn't work. Anyway the battery in the FOB was dead and a Wal Mart was close at hand and they had a battery. That fixed the problem but I hope the batteries last longer than 6 weeks. It has been fine all day today.

John

·
LOS ANGELES
1,755 Posts
What a pain!!!.. Bring that dead battery back to the dealer. They should replace it.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I've had mine since the first week in December. No FOB battery problems yet. I did however, have a very weak battery on the bike after it was parked for almost 2 weeks with the alarm on. Had to jump it.:hmm:
Dana

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
zimm said:
Hmmm.. How about giving us the battery type so we can go buy a spare to keep with the bike?

Great idea , the only storage space on a DX is just the rite size for a spare FOB battery

·
Riding to Valhall
166 Posts
danasmith69 said:
I've had mine since the first week in December. No FOB battery problems yet. I did however, have a very weak battery on the bike after it was parked for almost 2 weeks with the alarm on. Had to jump it.:hmm:
Dana
Have the same problem with my current "D"...twice!! Both times it was too weak to even jump start. Highly annoying. So if anyone has any tips on better batteries out there please bring them on.

·
Banned
868 Posts
triple_x_bo said:
Have the same problem with my current "D"...twice!! Both times it was too weak to even jump start. Highly annoying. So if anyone has any tips on better batteries out there please bring them on.
I second that suggestion. The battery should hold up better than that with just the little red key flashing for a week or two. I either have to leave the alarm off or buy a battery tender, although the bike rarely sits for more than a day or two. I quess now since it went dead so easily i'm gun shy about turning the alarm on.
A stronger battery would be great.
Dana

·
Naval Aviator
96 Posts
Interesting, so the alarm kills the battery if left sitting? If you leave the alarm off- is it good to go? Heck, my honda can sit for months and still start.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i have an '06 D and haven't had any issues with the battery, however i've never left the alarm activated for more than several hours at a time. i have it locked in my garage at night so i don't use the alarm unless i'm out. i have gone as long as a week and a half without riding it once or twice and there was no issue with a weakened battery. i do believe the manual suggests not leaving the alarm on for more than 2 weeks at a time though..

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
There is a storage mode for the alarm if you are going to leave it on for extended periods. Info in the user manual.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have had similar problems,I tend to only ride on weekends and my battery wont keep charge for a week,mind you I do keep the alarm on....too many dodgy bastards around.

`06 VRod

·
Riding to Valhall
166 Posts
mikep said:
There is a storage mode for the alarm if you are going to leave it on for extended periods. Info in the user manual.
I know, I just don't consider two weeks being neither "storage mode" or "extended periods" considering I live in Scandinavia and we have a few months down time to think about.

NB! Not meaning any disrespect to your comment, I'm just annoyed with the battery not lasting 'cos of a little red blinking light.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
I asked this question on another Key F.O.B. thread, but no one knew. What does F.O.B. stand for??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, I'm confused, are we talking about the bike battery going dead or the the key fob alarm thingy. If it is latter, you can get a battery from Radio Shack. Just make sure you don't get finger grease on the battery, a little bit of goo can cause it to not make a good connection. I just replace the FOB battery every year when I renew my tags.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went on vacation and left my alarm on for 3 weeks. Battery was dead. I installed my battery tender to see if it would bring it back to life and then wondered if I caused it to shut down by disconnecting the battery without disarming it first. Called the dealer and they said it is most likely the battery is just completely dead. They said they have had issues with the batteries dying. I was able to start it with my big battery charger, verified it was the battery. Off to get a new battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It doesn't stand for anything. I don't know why some people are capitalizing it. A fob is just basically a keychain.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Here is what I'v found. I know it's :eek:fftopic: BUT

key fob

- A key fob is a type of security token: a small hardware device with built-in authentication mechanisms. Just as the keys held on an ordinary real-world key chain or fob control access to the owner's home or car, the mechanisms in the key fob control access to network services and information. The key fob (and similar devices, such as smart cards) provide two-factor authentication: the user has a personal identification number (PIN), which authenticates them as the device's owner; after the user correctly enters their PIN, the device displays a number which allows them to log on to the network. Because a key fob is a physical object, it is easy for the owner to know if it has been stolen. In comparison, a password can be stolen (or guessed) and used for an extended period before -- if ever -- the theft is detected.

But no F.....O.....B....????? :hmm: Why not call it the button thingy that the battery in it keeps going dead? Where is the damn bunny when you need him??:laugh:

Wait I just found this...Key fob is also a word used to describe a key chain and several other similar items and devices. The word fob is believed to have originated from watch fobs, which existed as early as 1888. The fob refers to an ornament attached to a pocket-watch chain. Key chains, car starters, garage door openers, and keyless entry devices on hotel room doors are also called fobs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts