Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2007AW, 2010 Ultra
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy that bought my 07AW left the ignition switch on ACC after washing it and the battery went dead. His portable booster wasn't charged yet so we jumped it off his car. At first it didn't want to start but finally did. I disconnected the cables and reinstalled the airbox cover. The lights were going dim off an on, and it died a few times trying to rev the motor a little. We jumped it again and I let it run at idle for a few minutes. It was mis-firing occasionally with the lights still dimming so I took it out on the road. If I get into it even a little bit it starts stalling out but didn't die on me. I rode it a few miles and brought it back and said I'd get it to the dealer but I didn't have time to do so yet. I have been thinking that maybe the dead battery was causing issues somehow but it seems like the charging system would be sufficiently running the bike, however I may be mistaken there. It died again in the garage before I could get a meter on it to see what the voltage being put to the battery was, and out of frustration kinda gave up on it for the time being.

I don't believe he ever hooked up a charger to it, but since the battery is 3 years old now I'm sure it's past it's prime, but should replacing the battery solve those types of issues? Or am I looking at still needing to get it into the service dept?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
when you jump started the battery did you connect both cables to both batteries, or did you attach the black to the car frame and only connect the positive to the car battery?
If both were connected to car battery and both connected to bike battery, you most likely fried the battery.
You can try to charge it to max and see if it's still kicking, but the battery is definitely causing your current issues (pun intended)

·
Registered
394 Posts
It should have been connected to the frame of the bad battery (the bike) but that only prevents an explosion if the battery's really messed up. It shouldn't have fried the battery.
The battery should be fully charged before trying to run the bike with it. Jumping it will allow it to start but it'll run like crap on a weak battery. I'd suggest removing it and getting it properly charged and load tested before re-installing. The 3 year old battery should be OK if it has been maintained.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Running that 3 year old battery completely dead probably ruined it. Your bike won't run right with a really weak battery; it's probably doing everything it can on what the charging system is providing. I suspect your problems will be solved by replacing the bad battery.

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
I own a 2002 VRSCA. To this date I have the original battery in her. Grnated everytime I pull it in the garage or store it I put a drag specialties slow charger on it. Do it it works....

·
2007AW, 2010 Ultra
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny enough I never had a single problem with the battery, but then again I knew how to turn the switch to the correct position... FNGs, ya know? Anyway thanks for the input; I'll probably try to trickle it back to life and check it, if not I'll tell him to order a new battery.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
when you jump started the battery did you connect both cables to both batteries, or did you attach the black to the car frame and only connect the positive to the car battery?
If both were connected to car battery and both connected to bike battery, you most likely fried the battery.
You can try to charge it to max and see if it's still kicking, but the battery is definitely causing your current issues (pun intended)
A connection is a connection no matter where it's made.I've jump started dozens of motorcycles w cars and pickup trucks and never created a problem.Most cars and small trucks only put out 13.7 while running.Check a Harley system while it's running over 2000 rpm's and you will have over 14 volts charging the battery.

Put a new battery in the AW and test the charging system.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
A connection is a connection no matter where it's made.I've jump started dozens of motorcycles w cars and pickup trucks and never created a problem.Most cars and small trucks only put out 13.7 while running.Check a Harley system while it's running over 2000 rpm's and you will have over 14 volts charging the battery.

Put a new battery in the AW and test the charging system.
I believe there is an issue of jump starting a bike from a car if the car's running. Just jumping a 12 volt battery to a 12 volt battery should not pose a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.