Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everyone probably knows the v-rod battery has a tendency to lose its charge if not used on a regular basis and the alarm system seems to exacerbate the problem. However, does anyone have any opinions on the pros and cons of a battery trickler compared to your average 12 volt battery charger. I haven't riden the bike since Sept due to knee surgery and weather and I don't foresee riding it much in the cold winters of western Pa barring a sudden extreme green house effect. So a few questions

1. Does it hurt the battery to let it go dead not using a trickler.

2. Does it hurt the OME battery to charge it using your typical battery charger.

3. Besides having a battery that is charged during the winter months when I can't ride it anyways, are there any benefits to the trickler system.

Thanks in advance.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
They help the battery last longer, by keeping it at an optimum charge. Save yourself the time and hassle...fork over the $30 for a Battery Tender Jr. Just plug it in when you're not riding, and it may double the life of your battery (plus, your bike will crank up whenever you want it to).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crash said:
They help the battery last longer, by keeping it at an optimum charge. Save yourself the time and hassle...fork over the $30 for a Battery Tender Jr. Just plug it in when you're not riding, and it may double the life of your battery (plus, your bike will crank up whenever you want it to).
Is this a harley item or can you get it anywhere else?

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I got a batter tender for xmas this year. Easy to install and very handy! Definitely worth the few dollars they cost.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
I got one off of Yahoo auctions from arizona motorsports for 20.00 came with battery clips and a pigtail for permanant installation but the v rod aready had a pigtail so I used that.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
Just make sure it's got the pigtail to semi-permanently attach to your battery, AND that it is a smart charger..i.e. i will switch automatically to a maintenance mode when fully charged. There are tons of brands etc, but the Battery Tender and Battery Tender Jr are known brand names. Like said by our underwater friend above....you can get one from Harley, but will pay an extra ten bucks for the "HD" on the label.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My battery is dead too. Where is it located so I can jump it? I tried rolling the bike down a hill and starting it that way, but that didn't work.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
ubetyerazz said:
You can get it elsewhere for less.

$39.95 @ HD, $29.95 @ motorcyclesuperstore.com

Damn - why's everything so much more expensive over here in the UK.
Paid £40 (about $75) a few weeks ago for our known brand "Optimate". What makes it worse is that this is the second one I've bought. I "lost" the first one somewhere in the garage (it's not big - just very untidy).

Christine

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
If you have more than one bike, buy the Battery Tender or comparable it can be daisy chained...

One or more bikes can be trickled charged simultaneously... when you’re ready they’re ready!

The Jr. model may not have enough power to be hooked up in a serial mode.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wonder if this trickle charger will work on mine. Or do I need a new battery?

Had to jump it again today to get it started. Then I took it out on the road and about a mile away it started cutting out. The speedo and gauges started acting funny. Then it died. Battery was completely dead.

It sucks pushing that V-Rod up hills.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
lyonsd said:
It sucks pushing that V-Rod up hills.
That's when the ol cell phone comes in handy.

Get tender you won't regret spending the money.

·
V-Rod Addict
271 Posts
I haven't purchased a tender yet but after a little mishap I'm looking around for one.

This winter has been mild for Tennessee so until a couple weeks ago I had been able to get out and ride around enough to charge the battery (about once a week). Then it got pretty nasty for a couple weeks.

Friday it was 60 and I had just received the Stage 1 flash from Hales, so I got on my bike and rode it down to my dealer (about 3 miles). My bike started fine at the house but to load the flash they have to leave the ignition on. Well, the 3 miles wasn't enough to charge the battery and the install was the final straw. Dead battery. As the tech was hooking up the jumper cables he hit the underside of the instrument cluster and darned if he didn't strike an arc. As anyone would, I voiced my displeasure. To their credit the stepped up and gave the download free and I've got a free new piece on order. I tried to talk them into splitting the cost of an ozzy chrome cover but they weren't too excited about that.

Moral of the story: Don't let this happen to you . . . buy a tender!

·
'02 V-Rod #1910
29 Posts
dead battery woes :(

I'm sitting here at work, left the ignition on all morning... now I have a dead battery!

Now my questions are: Can I just jump it with battery cables? Will this cause any problems with the electronics and/or SE1 mapping? I've had my v-rod for 26 months and have had a dead battery only one other time when I armed the alarm for about 3 weeks. Is it time for a new battery? How can I tell?

Thanks

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
1.5 amp charger/maintainer (with smart charge and trouble light) at Auto Zone $16.00 has the pigtails just like Battery tender and comes with both hook ups , one with the clamps (old school charger style) and the other that fastens onto the battery (for quick connect).

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
bikerdave said:
I'm sitting here at work, left the ignition on all morning... now I have a dead battery!

Now my questions are: Can I just jump it with battery cables? Will this cause any problems with the electronics and/or SE1 mapping? I've had my v-rod for 26 months and have had a dead battery only one other time when I armed the alarm for about 3 weeks. Is it time for a new battery? How can I tell?

Thanks
Battery is likely still ok, Ijust know that the charging system does not seem to have enough muscle to recharge a dead battery... just recharge what you use to start it. I think you would be ok with the jump, but I'd hate for you to fry something on my advice. Last time I left ignition on, dealer recharged battery for me..been about 10 months, and no problems yet.

best of luck to you
Greg

·
'02 V-Rod #1910
29 Posts
Greg687 said:
...I think you would be ok with the jump, but I'd hate for you to fry something on my advice...

best of luck to you
Greg
Thanks for the reply Greg! Not to worry, I won't hold you responsible if there is a problem! ;) Still, I am having a difficult time trying to figure out what to do... I called the local "stealer" and the service mgr says "I wouldn't jump a v-rod, you never know what can happen." and in the same breath, he said, "you definitely need a new battery. Bring it on in and we'll get you fixed up." My knee jerk reaction is that 1.) he is just trying to sell a new battery and service, and 2.) he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Oh well, I still have an hour or so to figure something out. I'll keep you posted.

Bikerdave

1 - 20 of 37 Posts