Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an HID kit from DDM tuning about 6 mos ago (figured it was time to upgrade to the 55w kit). Monday this week, my light crapped out on me (bummer), so I call DDM and described how the ballast was making a unusual humming noise, and I though the ballast was out. Brian said "yup, sounds like the ballast", which is covered under warranty, but he said to send back the light bulb too. I asked why, and he said when the ballast goes, sometimes it will take out the light with it (go figure). He then went on to say that their experiencing a much higher then expected failure rate on their motorcycle ballasts, but no problem, it has a lifetime warranty. They called and said they tested by ballast and sure enough, it was dead. Their sending me a new one.

So, the good: Lifetime warranty, pretty good customer service and quick turn around.

The bad: High failure rate of ballasts! You have to pay to send it back to them.

Not sayin their a bad company, just figured a "heads up" was in order.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
thanks for the heads up! Did the unit that failed have the headlight plug attached or just the spades? Also, where the ballast wiring connects into the ballast, was that silver or black?

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the heads up! Did the unit that failed have the headlight plug attached or just the spades? Also, where the ballast wiring connects into the ballast, was that silver or black?
Spades. I was hoping for truly plug and play
Black.

He said the Apexcone (internal igniter) has a better track record.

Their sending a new one, but what a pain to remove and ship back to them.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
I ordered Hi/lo (Retina Burners) approx. 2 months ago and it was plug and play. I have to say I would replace them every year at my own expence if i had to. These lights are totally awesome. Friends give me a bunch of chit how bright they are with dual beam during daylight and at night you can't beat um.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
should i go with the 35w h9/h11 or the 55w?
LANE, what is the retina burners & how much? is it from DDM?

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should i go with the 35w h9/h11 or the 55w?
LANE, what is the retina burners & how much? is it from DDM?
I have the 55w for high and low (bridged H11/H9). With both on you can be seen from space. Both DDM, Like I said before, not a bad co to deal with.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
I have the 35/55 with the hi/low beam mod.
The retina burners Is what someone else on here called them and it just kinda stuck with me cause it is so true....they are very bright especially when both lamps are on at same time.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
LOL...i think i might go with the 35w 5k low, if i like, then maybe the 35w or 55w high 5-6k. i don't want any blue tint, i want white as possible.

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
LOL...i think i might go with the 35w 5k low, if i like, then maybe the 35w or 55w high 5-6k. i don't want any blue tint, i want white as possible.
If I had it to do over I would have gone 55 watt on both...I have 5000k on my 35 watt lows and it's pure white...6000k on my 55 watt highs and with both on, the highs have a slight blue tint compared to the low, so in hindsight I would have gone with the 5000k on my high also. Hope this helps some. ;) Pity the fool who flashes his lights at me! :D

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
thanx for the info., i'll probably stick with the 5k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an HID kit from DDM tuning about 6 mos ago (figured it was time to upgrade to the 55w kit). Monday this week, my light crapped out on me (bummer), so I call DDM and described how the ballast was making a unusual humming noise, and I though the ballast was out. Brian said "yup, sounds like the ballast", which is covered under warranty, but he said to send back the light bulb too. I asked why, and he said when the ballast goes, sometimes it will take out the light with it (go figure). He then went on to say that their experiencing a much higher then expected failure rate on their motorcycle ballasts, but no problem, it has a lifetime warranty. They called and said they tested by ballast and sure enough, it was dead. Their sending me a new one.

So, the good: Lifetime warranty, pretty good customer service and quick turn around.

The bad: High failure rate of ballasts! You have to pay to send it back to them.

Not sayin their a bad company, just figured a "heads up" was in order.
FWIW:

The slim/motorcycle ballasts have a very low failure rate. Always want fail rates to be even lower.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went through the same exact situation...........

The entire process took over two months to get straightened out. First they said I needed their wiring harness. It's worthless and has nothing to do with my 04B Model. I paid for shipping and tried in vain to explain that the wiring harness was not for this application. They wanted me to take photos of it and sent it to them when they sold the damn thing to me. Made no sense. Their techs are very poorly trained and they never let you talk to the main guy that know what's going on. I lost shipping costs but ended up with the H11 in 35W and H9 in 55W, I think they were both 5000K. Once I got them up and both working, they're great. The low beam actually puts a "V" pattern on the street and when tied to the Hi beam at night they're downright blinding to oncoming traffic so be careful. Also, you can forget about flashing someone approaching you with their brights on. It takes about 8 to 10 seconds for the high beam to fully ignite unless you had them on in the last ten seconds or so. At that price the way I look at it is they're disposable, forget about the warranty, it's not worth the aggravation. The part I do have a problem with is failure of one of both of those ballasts when I'm cruising 60 mph down a back country road and wind up in the bark of a tree. I guess the odds of both going out at once is pretty slim but the rate they're having ballast failures (at least the ones posted about) almost anything could happen. Maybe it's the fact that I have them both tied together that scares me in the event of a failure. It boils down to the old saying "You get what you pay for". Theses systems use to cost over two grand and now you can get them for under $275 for all headlights for an older BMW. For what it's worth, while riding behind a friends Fat Bob with my High and Lo's on, I thought he would appreciate all that light coming from behind me. Well, the first stop sign we came to he told me to go to low beam because he couldn't stand the light in his rear views and I ride behind because I've got kids and the area is loaded with hopping Venison. Bottom line is decent bulbs, crappy ballasts but worth what it for the cost of a dinner with your biatch.
Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts