Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wanted to share my DDM installation "strategy" ...

Photos are attached.

I have a 55W ballast for high beam and a 35W ballast for low beam. I also did the high beam/low beam mod, so the amount of light coming out of this thing with the high beam on is obnoxious to say the least... should be very useful in the rural highways around here during the night hours.

The ballasts are located on top of the battery. I taped them together, bottom to bottom; this allowed me to efficiently fit them in the space while providing plug clearance and also keeps the heat sinks on the outsides/exposed. I zip tied this "cluster" to the battery strap. This placement requires a topless setup, or at a minimum, remove the snorkel from the airbox. At this point, I just opted to remove the snorkel. I used a dremel to remove the snorkel.

The factory light plugs are on the left side, I routed the connectors over to them, plugged in the "spades" and securely wrapped them up with electrical tape. (no photos of this piece.)

I used some heavy duty 3M mounting tape to mount the igniters on the bottom of the battery case. Top igniter is low beam, bottom igniter is high beam.

Overall, I think this will work very well... everything fits very cleanly and I have no clearance issues. The system should also be decently cooled in this location.

Ride safe!

Attachments

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
Looks great!

I only retrofitted my low beam with an HID. I didn't want to wait for the high beam to boot-up, but I need to put a better halogen in there (maybe PIAA). There's a pretty big contrast between the factory high and the HID low.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Still not happy with the Hi beam. It seams to have very little effect or focus. Wondering if its the light housing and lack of directed light? thoughts?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't been able to test mine out yet ... Hopefully will get out in the next day or so and see how they do. Looks a lot brighter in the garage with both high/low turned on...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts