Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my DDM 55W H11 6000K kit on Friday afternoon and have been itching to get the thing in there. I am super excited about this mod and am a firm believer that my H9 high beam usage days are numbered...but I did RJ's hi/low mod anyways. On with the pics!

stock H11 low beam

stock H9 only high beam (before hi/low mod)

me checking out wiring with the old test light before snapping the guillotine splicer on

the infamous maxi fuse...make sure you disconnect prior to working on the bike...you never know what COULD happen

guillotine splicer installed using blue (constant 12VDC) and yellow (low beam) wires...this took like 5 minutes to complete

holy @#$!

DDM H11 is amazing!

DDM H11 & stock H9 high beam on together...yeah like I'm really gonna need it!

Total time to install was about an hour and I installed my ballast on top of the battery and ran my wiring through and behind the left/"driver's" side of the bike. I'm running "topped" and the snorkel fit fine.

All photos were taken with my iPhone 3GS.

Jeff

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dunno if its just your pics, but man, what a difference in light.
No photochoppin' there. It's a huge difference in lighting.

You owe it to yourself to be able to see. Our bikes are fast and we need to be able to see down the road and be seen too.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
my number one performance mod was going with HID headlight set up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
alright, I found the site, no thanks to you. But know I dunno what lights to buy, you can buy the H9 and H11's in different brightness.

5000K, 4000k, 3000K?

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's where I got mine from.

·
On the Space Coast
60 Posts
The wattage (35W or 55W) is actually the brightness. The (K) spec is the color. Lower number is a whiter light. The higher the number the more blue the light will be. There are several threads on the forum discussing personal preferences on that.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
i just did this too , i have both the 35 and 55 w , with the hi low spliced , super bright

·
Registered
207 Posts
too bad you didn't take a pic of the hi/low splice before the HID install and compare. I think im just gunna do the splice and skip the hid purchase.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Go 55w for both, now I would go with 6ooo for both HID's

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
too bad you didn't take a pic of the hi/low splice before the HID install and compare. I think im just gunna do the splice and skip the hid purchase.
I had considered doing that, but I didn't want to take the bike back off the lift and roll it back outside for more pics. I, also, had my daughter helping out and we were getting it all done at the same time...plus it was getting pretty late.
Doing RJ's hi/low mod will make a big difference when you need your high beam, but for low beam, night time driving the HID bulb is gonna be better no matter what. You can't match the amount of lumens the DDM kit throws down on the road.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So, the kit, did it have everything you needed for the install? Or do you need additional wiring and connectors? Also, do it come with instructions specific for the Muscle, ie. wire colors, locations, pictures.

·
George
5,411 Posts
I have the "both on" mod and both lamps are 55w 8000k HID..... I cook animals now before I run them down

·
On the Space Coast
60 Posts
Yes everything is included and is a very quick and easy install. It takes longer to remove your vents and airbox cover than the actual install. No muscle specific pictures, but the harness is plug and play into existing wire harness. Not much harder than changing a headlight bulb.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I have the "both on" mod and both lamps are 55w 8000k HID..... I cook animals now before I run them down
:spit:
I started off with 35w low and 55w high. Later swapped out to 55w for both.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts