Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
I remember having to do the same thing to Consig64 and Jeck's bikes re: the ecm carrier.
I can't thank Will enough for all of the assistance he provided in both installing this system for me and then taking the time to respond to all of my stupid questions as well as helping me work through a few technical issues while I learned the system. :notworth::notworth:

·
It is what it is
2,632 Posts
Big Will sent a PM seeking your help on my future purchase; I enjoyed reading all the post on VRFID Gen 3 Fuel Injection Controller; thanks all making me look forward to getting mine.

·
Hi... I'm Big Will
1,087 Posts
I can't thank Will enough for all of the assistance he provided in both installing this system for me and then taking the time to respond to all of my stupid questions as well as helping me work through a few technical issues while I learned the system. :notworth::notworth:
I only ever stop answering Scott's calls :D

No such thing as stupid questions about tuning a 1402cc motor my friend. There were others there answering questions for me when I first started with it, just passing on the knowledge.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
:them:

I always give Will full control over my ECM when we get together. We worked on hot start up this year at MWT.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
does it come with its own cable for unit to laptop connection ,is it usb to usb or stupid usb to serial port ,couldnt never get the driver for that bloody belcon thing to work on my laptop ,which by the way is why i went from p,c to laptop in the first place ,and ended up putting the p,c in the garage cos it worked well with xp but not with my laptop which has windows 7

·
Hi... I'm Big Will
1,087 Posts
It comes with a cable, usb to usb .... only HD would use something so outdated as a serial port...

·
Registered
546 Posts
So if reading this right, with this system, once a choice is made between 1130 or 1250 map, it just tunes from then on, unlike the Tmax which deteriorates after 100-200 miles of new tweeked map?

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
So if reading this right, with this system, once a choice is made between 1130 or 1250 map, it just tunes from then on, unlike the Tmax which deteriorates after 100-200 miles of new tweeked map?
No not really... People misunderstand "auto" tune and assume that these ECU's will take any map provided by the vendor and it will self tune the motor to 100% tune... This is not accurate... There are too many variables when it comes to tuning a motor, outside barometric pressure, ambient temperature, feet above see level, timing and advance curves based on cams used, AFR to TPS and RPM values etc...

T-Max, PCV Auto Tune, and this one can only do so much but they require a "good" base map to start with... What these vendors do is they will dyno a certain amount of motors with a certain amount of aftermarket exhausts and air filters and cams, they try to get the most commonly used combinations to put together a library of base maps... That's why you will see a boat load of maps for stock motors with just minor changes like exhaust and air cleaner... As the motor builds change, cam's used etc., the maps become less available like in my case... Nobody had a map for my motor, cam, exhaust and blower setup...

If you get a map that is your particular motor and build with your minor mods, then that map will be close and the offsets or variables that it will adjust to will be feet above sea level that sort of thing... Lets say the vendor is 1500 feet above sea level and they dyno a base map and you order the map but your at 500 feet above sea level... The system is designed to make the offset corrections to this level of change but your motor, exhaust, air cleaner flow has to be either the same or very close to what the vendor used when it dyno'd the combination... In these cases, these systems will "auto" tune and in most cases give you a 98% tune... The only way you can get a 100% tune is to have your bike dyno'd and then it all depends on the dyno used and the talent of the tuner as to just how much improvement you will see in the tune...

This particular ECU seems to look like it is more user friendly then the T-Max and PCV... It also has the added feature as does the Power Commander folks in they offer a handheld that you can plug into the ECU and monitor AFR values real time and can make adjustments on the fly as your riding but again, the map has to be a good base map to work off of... If it is too far away from your motor build combination, it will be all over the place in trying to create offsets, you have to go into these programs and start tweaking the values a lil at a time and go out and road test... It takes time and most people don't want to deal with that so they take it to a tuner with a dyno... Hope this helps explains this ECU and the others...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
oh this thing sounds all good ,stupid serial port crap ,given me nothing but head aches ,lol
I agree, I've done quite a bit of research on this ECU and talked to Chris, he's the main guy there like James is at Zippers... It has some distinct advantages over the T-Max... I have not worked with the PCV so I can't give any input on that one but I've run the T-Max for over three years now and I'm still dealing (base map) with trying to get my dresser dialed in without a dyno...

I like this system because it looks to be a lot user friendly... The manual for it is only 35 pages versus 150 pages for the T-Max... This sytem has some things you can do in the "tweaking" of the map that the T-Max does not offer right now... I'm about to drop the hammer on one of these systems for my dresser and if it works out, then I'll probably go to it for my Rod with Trask turbo... Right now, the biggest plus is the service... Chis bent over backwards to help me with my dresser versus nothing, zippo, your on your own response from James at Zippers... So that right there is a big selling feature for me personally, service after the sale...

But I don't care what these folks say about their "auto tuners", yes they auto tune to a degree but they are not a dyno + tuner... They have their limits and if people order these things and plug them into their bikes and expect a 100% tune, then they are in for a big let down... A stock bike with minor changes to exhaust and intake, yup the base maps they have will give you a pretty good tune, probably between 96 and 98% tune efficiency... And for most people, that tune is good enough... It will give you added power and reasonable gas milage and cooler running engines...

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
explain to me what this has over for example, a T-Max, or PCV.
what tables do they have that can be tweaked than the others.
All these systems WITH-OUT a great base-map, sucks.
can injector pulse be modified?
is it easier to dial in cam changes?
I am interested in this, and i know that Dynojet has in the market a new flash ecm that suposedly tunes using speed density, what ever that is, and has a display you can observe and make some changes to.
One of these i will want to try,
TTS is up on my list as well since all the air cooled runners seem to like this system.
I also run with the t-max currently coming from a PCIII with 4hrs of dyno time.
I recently thought the T-Max wasn't dialed right, so i went back to the PCIII, and boy was i wrong, until now the best results i have with a Tmax, but i want to go another route, I have done the VnH PnP with the Stage II cams and will be doin the mild 1302 soon.
I am very interested in this discussion

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Thanks Tbones for taking the time to explain. I get it now, old farts like me takes a bit of brain tweeking.
LOL bro I'm an ol fart too and I'm still learning about these damn tuners... It used to be so ez back in the "old" days with carbs, but those days are loooooooooooooong gone :)... So, one either gets with the program and in this case "computer" programs or you're left in the dust... The T-Max is a good system but I like this new Twin Tech Daytona module and more importantly the service these guys provide for their product... Zipper's has started to slip on their support in my opinion...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I am interested in this, and i know that Dynojet has in the market a new flash ecm that suposedly tunes using speed density, what ever that is, and has a display you can observe and make some changes to.
TTS is up on my list as well since all the air cooled runners seem to like this system.
I recently thought the T-Max wasn't dialed right, so i went back to the PCIII, and boy was i wrong, until now the best results i have with a Tmax, but i want to go another route, I have done the VnH PnP with the Stage II cams and will be doin the mild 1302 soon.
http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/TCFI3_TMax_Comparison.pdf

Here's just a couple differences... I don't want to write a book here so if you follow the link and do some reading you'll see the differences between the Twin Tech and the T-Max, it also has the ability to change the speed density setting as the PCV Auto tune... If you look at the tuning manuals for all three, this one definitely is the easiest and the program is more user friendly for us not so smart computer geeks out there... :)...

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
And I just bought a Tmax two weeks ago too. Guess I made a mistake, bur I asked in other threads and all the feedback was positive on the Tmax......All I have is Bub 2-1 and filter and my bike runs so rich it dies after about 10seconds. Jamies advice, you gotta ride it, we woll see. I thought this would be an easy combo to nail Im not interested in gettong it perfect, just wanna ride. At least its too cold here rigjt now anyway....

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
And I just bought a Tmax two weeks ago too. Guess I made a mistake, bur I asked in other threads and all the feedback was positive on the Tmax......All I have is Bub 2-1 and filter and my bike runs so rich it dies after about 10seconds. Jamies advice, you gotta ride it, we woll see. I thought this would be an easy combo to nail Im not interested in gettong it perfect, just wanna ride. At least its too cold here rigjt now anyway....
Bro, you didn't make a bad choice... The T-Max is a very good system... I've ran them in all three of my bikes for the past three years and have installed many of them in customer bikes, all are satisfied with the results... I had one minor issue with one module for a customer, sent it back to Zippers and they sent out a new one no questions asked... For your bike and your mods, the T-Max will treat you just fine :)... Don't forget to do the auto tune function after you've got 300 miles on the map... When you use this function, it will tell you if the map is a good map for your motor combination and if says its good then you click on the auto tune and it will finish setting the offsets to both cylinders and then just enjoy the ride from there on out... In my particular case, I'm running forced induction on both my dresser and v-rod and there's just not a lot out there for my applications and this new Twin Tech allows me to get a lil closer to a tuned motor before I have to take it to a tuner and have him dyno it... And remember, it takes at least 5 full sessions to bring in the offsets... Each session is from cold start up to normal operating temperature...

·
Fitzy - 1302
1,075 Posts
Can't go wrong with the VRFID III especially going to bigbore. Tmax IMO won't tune it properly. When I did my search for what was being used with the BB's I came up with VRFID, SERT, and TTS.
I did make some changes with the map by changing the AFR tables, very simple!
The tables are 3D and its nice to actually see whats going on in one screen.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
THIS >>>>>>> http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/TCFI3_TMax_Comparison.pdf is a very good, simple, comparison of the 2 units.

Couple notices:
Set-up, IAC
Battery Drain
Data Logging
Free Air Cal
Steps needed to make changes

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/TCFI3_TMax_Comparison.pdf

Here's just a couple differences... I don't want to write a book here so if you follow the link and do some reading you'll see the differences between the Twin Tech and the T-Max, it also has the ability to change the speed density setting as the PCV Auto tune... If you look at the tuning manuals for all three, this one definitely is the easiest and the program is more user friendly for us not so smart computer geeks out there... :)...

41 - 60 of 128 Posts