Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was great seeing and meeting everybody at Daytona. I think we must have had 200 V-Rods at the Friday morning meet. I'm not sure who to thank for putting it all together but whoever it was "nice going".
One thing I did notice on my week of riding and partying was that my bike stalled (or cut out) 3 or 4 times when I was coming to a stop and pulled in the clutch. It re-started right away but was still concerning. Is this due to the fact that I haven't done the air temp relocation modification?

·
Registered
187 Posts
bermuda said:
It was great seeing and meeting everybody at Daytona. I think we must have had 200 V-Rods at the Friday morning meet. I'm not sure who to thank for putting it all together but whoever it was "nice going".
One thing I did notice on my week of riding and partying was that my bike stalled (or cut out) 3 or 4 times when I was coming to a stop and pulled in the clutch. It re-started right away but was still concerning. Is this due to the fact that I haven't done the air temp relocation modification?
Have you determined if your bike is on the recall list for the fuel flange problem? The symptons seem to match.

Ron

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rmyers only the 02's required the air temp relocation so I will guess that bermuda is not on the recall list. I'm not sure why so many think the stalling had anything to do with the fuel flange, I think the fuel flange was for a problem at 5500 rpm.

bermuda the relocation kit and reflash couldn't hurt if you have the stalling problem. The IAT located in the head is just a bad place to have the thing. When the motor gets hot there is no way it can get accurate readings, it was one of the first things I did to my 02 and have never had the stalling.

Max

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Mine stalled all the time at idle: stop lights, signs, during parades, parking what ever. Took it in and it gave the dealer a trouble code for an idling problem. They did their trouble shoot for the idling problem and fuel flange replacement at the same time and I haven't had any problems.

The biggest thing I've noticed (besides not stalling anymore) is instead of trying to idle around 900 rmps in now idles in the 1200 rpm range.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max,
You're correct - since I have the 02 model I don't seem to be on the Fuel Flange list. I haven't heard anything from H-D anyway. I quess I'll try the IAT relocation and the reflash first.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have an 03... had the fuel flange replaced... and mine was stalling occasionally too. I think it was from all the stop and go traffic and the heat because it only did it around the same time the fan kicked in and usually died when I was just sitting there. I only experienced it maybe 3-4 times during bike week.

Since then it hasn't stalled once. So I'm chalking it up to the heat...

Leon

·
Registered
187 Posts
I always thought the fuel flange replacement was for stalling at idle because of the posts I read on other forums before I found this one. My 03 stalled once or twice during a ride when coming to a light, I called the dealer and determined my bike was on the list (after asking him to check it twice) brought it in to a local dealer and had the flange replaced and I have not had the problem since.

Ron

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Ron when the fuel flange does fail the bike won't run over 5k rpm and there is no doubt you have a running problem. If it is not failed it won't change anything and I'll bet that around 1% actually failed.

Max

·
Registered
34 Posts
I HAD MY BIKE IN THE SHOP FOR STALLING AT THE SAME TIME THE CHROME WAS REPLACED. THE WEATHER HERE IS NICE AGAIN, AND I'VE BEEN RIDING FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKS. I STILL HAVE THE STALLING PROBLEM WHEN STOPPING. A SALESMAN AT A LOCAL WILMINGTON DEALERSHIP SAID BECAUSE OF THE TALL FIRST GEAR IT MAY STALL WHEN YOU START OUT. I TOLD HIM IT WAS ON DECELERATION AND DIDN'T HE SEE THE TSB'S FOR THIS? I LEFT AND WENT BACK TO MY DEALERSHIP. WHEN THEY SAW ME THEY JUST SHOOK THEIR HEADS. (THEY KNOW MY BIKE AND FACE BY NOW). I GUESS I'LL SEND IT BACK IN TO FIND OUT WHY IT'S STILL STALLING. I'VE GOT ACCUSTOMED TO IT, I JUST RAISE THE RPM WHEN I'M SLOWING DOWN OR SITTING AT AN IDLE. THEY'LL EVENTUALLY FIGURE IT OUT. ALL OF THE PROBLEMS AND I STILL LOVE THE BIKE. MY WIFE RIDES IT NOW MOST OF THE TIME ANYWAY. :vrod:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Why can't anyone figure this problem out???? It seems that there are more than just a couple that keep stalling out. I hope the dealer did something to help, mostly my wifes' bike. She is ready to get rid of it since it has been to the shop about 7 different times.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Doug, it is so odd that with the small number of bikes that stall and you have two of them it would seem that it would have something to do with either the options you run, the flash on your PC's or the fuel that you run in the bikes or your driving styles. The first thing of course to try is to change fuel brands or at least service stations but probably fuel brand. Back in the mid 80's working with GM we had more drivability issues then you could shake a stick at and finally started correcting many of them with specific fuels. GM sent out testers that we could test fuel volitility and found that many did not meet minimum standard and were causing the driveability issues.
Next would be to look at your setups and flashes. It seems like lisa is running the 16gage pipes and I will assume you run the same with the K&N filter. Make sure to have the flash double checked on both bikes to make sure it is correct. It could be that the flash was either neglected or incorrect. Also have them double check for IAC codes at the same time. Stalling from an IAC motor should leave a code but the odds of having two with bad IACs are pretty slim.
I have found that some driveablity issues can be duplicated exactly time after time so make sure to try to find that time and place that the bike stalls every time and make sure you describe it exactly to the tech so he can duplicate the condition. We are human and don't always put as much work into a complaint that we can't duplicate.
If you both drive very easy you may be suffering from carbon buildup in the throttle bore area or what we call coaking. This causes less air to be allowed around the throttle plates and requires the IAC to move farther and recover faster and can lead to a stall or an unstable idle condition on many engines. It is easy to check with the removal of the air filter and simply look down the bore with a flash light. If it has a ridge of carbon you can feel with your finger that is to much.

Max

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Mine stalls some times, when coming to a stop (mainly at gas stations)..i have learned to pull in the clutch and keep it reved a little bit, this takes care of the problem, I blame the tall 1st gear.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Max,
We just had the 28 tooth pulley put on the bikes and flange recall done. The dealer took our air boxes off without even saying a word about that. ( did that for free ) We only rode about 20 miles home and both of them did not stall. So hopefully they did something that helps. They did check for codes again and found none. Her bike stalls the most. One time you can go for 200 miles without stalling and the next time ride 20 miles and have it stall out 5 times. Temperature is always different as is our riding style. It just happens when it wants to, mostly with clutch fully in and coming to a stop.
Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts