Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys wanted to know if this plug looks normal for only one day use about 75 miles? Also the has a vibration that is on my last nerve:banghead: I have checked the exhaults, retighten the front mount (Ifeel it on the bottom of the mount but not the top) And its not just above the 3000rpm as other threads state. It not popping just a rough idle and it continues all the way thru the rpm range. I can pull the clutch in and it smooth (love the new metzelers)
Please guys need your help this is a new to me bike and love it but got to fix this vibration.

03 V Rod 8400 miles has SE 16ga Double barrel pipes K/N filter.
:notworth::helpme::vrod:

Attachments

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
You should run the bike about 250 plus miles to get a good read on the plugs.

What changes have you made to the bike before the vibration showed up?

What tunere are you running and have you had it dynoed?

A bad tune can cause a vibration...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Loks brand spanking new to me. Got to ride more to tell anything.....

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
What kind of fuel management are you using for the changed exhaust and air filter ?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
It sounds like a tuning issue to me too. Especially because you bought it with non-stock exhaust.

I cannot believe how much smoother and stronger my bike runs since my latest dyno-tune. The Harley shop tuned it to a perfectly flat 14.0:1 at all speeds, but it didn't run truly smooth until Biketoberfest when my buddy tuned it to 13.5:1. My mirrors are clear at almost all speeds- waaaaaaaay better than before.

Your plugs look white, and therefore too lean. They should be tan.

Bring it on down to Jacksonville. I'll hook you up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the bike as is, as far as pipes, filters etc. I asume that the dealer downloaded the SE 1 tune when they installed the pipes????
When I bought the bike it had the vibration, but thought it ws the tires so I put new ones on and still have it??
The plugs look clean but have some oil residue on them, and inside the throttle bodies before the injectors there is oil stains??? Also noticed that the back right val and the front left val have a deposit build up on them????
Thanks guys.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
is the vibration something that you can hear or are you feeling it through the grips?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can feel it thru both grips and seat, fell it at idle too. But I ca. Hear it as well.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
It sounds like a tuning issue to me too. Especially because you bought it with non-stock exhaust.

I cannot believe how much smoother and stronger my bike runs since my latest dyno-tune. The Harley shop tuned it to a perfectly flat 14.0:1 at all speeds, but it didn't run truly smooth until Biketoberfest when my buddy tuned it to 13.5:1. My mirrors are clear at almost all speeds- waaaaaaaay better than before.

Your plugs look white, and therefore too lean. They should be tan.

Bring it on down to Jacksonville. I'll hook you up.
Holy smokes, Harley charged you to set your AFR at 14:1? They only dropped the AFR .7... Optimum AFR for an internal combusion engine is 12.5:1 with 13:1 on the lean side... I understand the dealership tuning your bike to the lean side, they have to walk lock step in the MOCO and EPA...

Bro, I'd think about getting your motor tuned to no more than 13:1 AFR, to get the optimum performance, cooler running, and longer engine life... Your range should be between 12.5:1 to 13:1 AFR and you would go either way depending on what gas milage you want...

Will anything above 13:1 hurt the motor? Yes, if you go 15:1 or higher you can expect major engine damage... If you go below 12.5:1 it will harm your motor too as you will build up too much carbon deposits on top of your pistons and valve stems/guides which will create whats called hot spots and you get pre-ignition of the fuel mixture or your valve can stick inside the guide and then be bent...

This is just a suggestion, where you're tuned at right now gives you the optimum mpg with performance but you can get better and loose a lil mpg and your motor will love you for it :)....

To the author, your plugs look ok but your picture of the plug is too far away :)... I'd have to see the ground electrode and the center elctrode to be able to tell you what your motor is doing... You don't have a lot of carbon buildup so if anything, your running on the lean side of things... As for the vibration you state that the vibration goes away when you pull in the clutch, correct? Is your drive belt adjusted properly? Too tight or too loose will cause vibrations so I'd check that first... If the belt is adjusted properly then I would start looking at your clutch or your drive pulleys to see if anything is loose or out of place...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay if it is the tune, What is the cheapest way to get a tune on it? I live just north of Atlanta. I don't execpt to make any future change to the bike as Love the way the pipes sound. How much do Dealer charge to download the stage1 download? :notworth:

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Okay if it is the tune, What is the cheapest way to get a tune on it? I live just north of Atlanta. I don't execpt to make any future change to the bike as Love the way the pipes sound. How much do Dealer charge to download the stage1 download? :notworth:
It will depend on the dealer but a customer of mine who had the stage 1 flash on her Fatboy the dealers charged her $250.00 to do it... I think that's a huge ripoff but unless you have a scanalyzer you're at the mercy of these people... To charge a customer that much money for five minutes work is just plain wrong but there's nothing you can do about it...

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I have a piggy back system that I am willing to get rid of . It is the SE race fueler. It is for the later 05 and o6 models. I am not sure what other years it will fit. I can post the part number if your interested. I think they work good for what they are. I am looking at $50.00 plus 5.00 shipping.
With this you can do a tune yourself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the part # And does anybody eles know it this will work?
I clean the throttle bodies out with Seaform and run some in the tank it seemed to help some??? will look and see if it remove some of the deposits on the val. :banghead:

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
It will work , it is a fuel management unit made by harley just like the harley race tuner but this one is the race fueler.
Part number is 32136-06A and I have the instructions with it

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
i have a piggy back system that i am willing to get rid of . It is the se race fueler. It is for the later 05 and o6 models. I am not sure what other years it will fit. I can post the part number if your interested. I think they work good for what they are. I am looking at $50.00 plus 5.00 shipping.
With this you can do a tune yourself.
great deal!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What all can be done with this unit? Being new to HD and V Rod's the only thing I might change on my bike is doing the Baffle D mod that is list on this site. So will this unit let me do that with out remapping the ECM? What will this unit really do for me?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'll say by that picture,the cylinder that plug came from is running lean as hell.
If you are chasing this vibration by thinking you have one cylinder firing at a lower % than the other,you need to read both plugs.The engine could be running lean on both cylinders without a miss,so chasing your vibration like this needs to be done properly.
If you are not worried about your V-Rod's engine running the best it can like I like Dr Dave,me and most everyone I know,then throwing time and money at a dyno tune will leave you very unhappy if the vibration is not an air-fuel mixture problem.

As far as tuning the ecm for the engines optimum performance,using the SERT and a good mechanic on the dyno is the best way there is to tune your V-Rod.I can't say this will fix your vibration complaint,but it's the best way to tune your V-Rod.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Also,if you have a coke buildup in the top of the engine,a top engine clean is in order.Do a search on this.
Clean the IAC hole real good.A dirty IAC can cause terrible and inconsistent running at low rpms.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
What the race fueler does is it connects to the injectors and your existing injector wiring ends plug into the other end of this wiring harness. It has 6 buttons, 3 of which you set the RPM ranges that you want to adjust for. For instance you can set the low to mid at 2800 RPM, the mid to high at 5500 and so on then the other 3 buttons let you set the fuel at those designated changes . It is an easy way to adjust fuel to the cylinders for each of 3 set RPM ranges. It is very effective for the price and works good for small mods to air cleaner and exhaust changes.I attached the instructions for it .

Attachments

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
You should run the bike about 250 plus miles to get a good read on the plugs.

What changes have you made to the bike before the vibration showed up?

What tunere are you running and have you had it dynoed?

A bad tune can cause a vibration...
Was great talking to you today, it's always nice to talk to someone with logic and common sense :)...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts