Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone installed a Datatool gear indicator on their VRSCDX? I recently picked up one and would like to see if I can install it on my 2009 VRSCDX. Datatool says that it will work with any bike fitted with an electronic speedometer. Unfortunately, I no longer have my manual so I do not know which wires I need. Doing a search turned up nothing.

If you've installed a Datatool before and/or know which wires to splice, I would really appreciate the help. I am also including the instruction.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
as far as i know there are no wires to connect too ?

you need a tacho pulse , and the DX model (mine) does not have a tacho pulse wire you have to install one , by taking apart the ECM and finding pin 3 there will be a blank blue plastic pin in there , you need to buy a spare metal wire pin from harley to suit that ECM and wire the pin it feeds the pulse to that blank pin but is not needed as its canbus to the clocks , thats how i fitted my rev light

the Digi gear needs this tacho pulse as well as a speed/speedo pulse , and i have not got a clue where to find that or even if its got a wire , most bikes have these wires coming from the back of the clocks , so its an easy fit , our bikes run canbus feed to the clocks meaning no such wires for this only basic feeds !

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Write a post on it then so if it happens to anyone else the answer will be there :thumb:
Great idea Stevel. So here goes :)

This is my write-up of how to wire up the Datatool Digital Gear Indicator. This write up is based off of my 2009 VRSCDX. I am not sure if the wire colors/ location/ etc. will match with other VRod model/year.

Wire Hook up:

On Datatool: -- On VRod:

1. Red (+12V) -- Gray (Ignition on Instrument)
2. Black (Ground) -- Black/Green (Ground on Instrument)
3. Brown (Neutral Switch) -- Tan (Neutral on Instrument)
4. Green (Speedometer Pulse) -- Black/Blue (VSS input- pin 33 ECM)
5. Yellow (Tach Pulse) -- Pin 3 on ECM (Tach Output)
6. Orange (Program wire) -- n/a

For the +12v, I chose the ignition wire on the instrument harness so that it will power on when ignition is on. If you open the left side screen, you can trace the instrument panel wire harness down and connect to the gray wire here.

The ground is available in a couple different locations. I chose to connect to the black/green ground wire going to the instrument panel. You can connect to ground at same location as the +12v, as they belong to the same wire harness.

For the neutral wire, I tapped into the Instrument panel's neutral switch. This is the Tan wire running up to the instrument panel and belongs to the same harness as +12v, and ground.

For the Speedometer Pulse, I tapped into the VSS input wire (black/blue) at pin 33 on the ECM. Instead of connecting near the ECM, I traced the wire out. Under the rider's seat, you will see three or more wire harness splitting off from the main harness of the ECM. Look in there, and you'll find the VSS input wire to tap.

For the Tach pulse, I tried connecting to the front coil (pin 29- ECM Blue/orange wire) and the rear coil (pin 11-ECM Yellow/Blue wire) but the Datatool would not work correctly. It would stop after gear #3 and I could not program it beyond that. I've checked my connections multiple times to make sure I got the right wire and the connection was solid. In the end, I went to the dealership and purchased the ECM pin (part number 72076-00) and plugged it into ECM pin 3. Search for part number 72076-00 and Tach output pin for info on how to do this. With the new wire connected to pin 3 on ECM, I ran the VSS and Tach pulse wires inside the main harness all the way up the left side to the front at the left side screen. Here, I connected the Green wire from the datatool to the Speedometer pulse wire, and the yellow wire from the datatool to the Tach pulse.

At this point, only thing left to do is program the gear indicator.

Programming gears

Programming gear indicator is a two step process. Make sure your rear wheel is off the ground when you program the datatool indicator.

1. Select neutral, check the kill switch is in the run position and turn the ignition on.

2. Touch and hold the orange programming wire to ground until the DiGi flashes "P" (this may take up to 60 seconds).

3. While the display is flashing "P" remove and remake the orange wire to ground, the display will change to a flashing “1”.

4. Remove and remake the orange wire to earth, the display will change to “2”.

5. Remove and remake the orange wire to earth, the display will change to “3”.

6. Repeat for the number of gears the bike has.

7. Isolate the orange programming wire.

Teaching the Gears:

1. With the motorcycle securely on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground, engage neutral and start the engine.

2. Select 1st gear, the DiGi display will show a flashing “1,” release the clutch. Increase the engine speed to 2000 RPM and hold, the 1 on the display will flash increasingly quickly and will change to a bar.

3 When the bar appears in the display 1st gear has been logged successfully and the display will change to a flashing “2”. Change into neutral from 1st gear, pause in neutral until “0” is displayed on the DiGi.

4. Select 2nd gear, the display will show a flashing “2,” release the clutch. Check the engine speed is still at 2000 RPM, the “2” will flash increasingly quickly until a bar is displayed, 2nd gear has now been
logged successfully, the DiGi display will show a flashing “3”.

5. Select 3rd gear, check the engine speed is still at 2000 RPM, the “3” will flash increasingly quickly until a bar is displayed, 3rd gear
has now been logged successfully, the DiGi display will show a flashing “4”.

6. Repeat the point of the above procedure for the remaining gears.
When the bar appears in top gear the display will scroll and the DiGi has been successfully programmed.

Summary

The Datatool Gear Indicator works in identifying which gear you're in. However, there is a 1-2 seconds delay in displaying the gear after you've shift and the clutch is released. Because the datatool works by comparing speedometer vs. engine speed and calculating which gear, it will sometime briefly show the wrong gear. For example, if I am in say 5th gear, and I hold the clutch in, the display may show 3rd gear. in another example, if I am in 3rd gear and I downshift to 2nd, the display will briefly show 4th gear, but then it will show the correct gear. If you're OK with these minor quirks, and you need a reasonably priced gear indicator, then the Datatool may be for you. There are other brands out there, but they are alot more expensive, and honestly, seeing how most need the speed pulse and tach pulse to work, I suspect they all will behave similarly.

I hope this write-up will help someone. I will include some pictures once I get a chance to take some.

Thanks.

·
VRSCDXA Owner
459 Posts
There is also a Harley accessory handlebar mounted digital gear indicator, part no. 70900078 available for 2007 and later VRSC models. The part number is for black but it is also available in chrome under a different part no. Plug and play with no programming required.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts