Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for the Data Link on my 08 VRSCDX.
I've read every post I can find for a hint on its location. I can't find it, 3 guys at Harley couldn't find it. (Doesn't surprise me based on what I've seen there.)
I know what the book says, it isn't there.

Could I have removed it myself with a previous mod?
New head light, Turn signals, Tundermax.
I don't see how. I've never thrown anything away and didn't find any odd unexplained connector in the old parts.

Any help appreciated and pictures would be great.
Thanks

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
it's been awhile since I installed my Thundermax, but I kinda remember it & the O2 sensors being plugged into the data port behind one of the front side covers.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Assuming you mean the Deutsch connector with the data pin, under the right hand front side cover. I'll see if I can find you a picture...

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Pic:

This is to illustrate how to wire a v-guage. Normally, the connector has a blanking plug fitted (could this be the confusion?)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's it. I was always looking for a unused connector with a black plug on it.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts

This is to illustrate how to wire a v-guage. Normally, the connector has a blanking plug fitted (could this be the confusion?)
Louis,
From what I can see in your picture you’re tapping the “ignition” circuit gray (or grey as you British spell it) wire on the serial data link to supply power to the V-Gauge.

This circuit shouldn’t be used to power other devices since it’s fairly sensitive to voltage fluctuations as mentioned in the V-Gauge user manual. The reason it’s included in the Data Link connector is so the various scanning devices will know when the Run/Stop switch is “on”.

You may not have had a problem yet but it would be better to get the V-Gauge power from the ACCY circuit orange with white stripe wire and leave that “ignition” circuit alone.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Louis,
From what I can see in your picture you’re tapping the “ignition” circuit gray (or grey as you British spell it) wire on the serial data link to supply power to the V-Gauge.

This circuit shouldn’t be used to power other devices since it’s fairly sensitive to voltage fluctuations as mentioned in the V-Gauge user manual. The reason it’s included in the Data Link connector is so the various scanning devices will know when the Run/Stop switch is “on”.

You may not have had a problem yet but it would be better to get the V-Gauge power from the ACCY circuit orange with white stripe wire and leave that “ignition” circuit alone.
Thanks. It is very handy being able to just disconnect the thing from one plug, but OK I'll add a second plug for power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts