Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the archived threads on this issue and loosened/tightened the screws progressively -- I have not put a torque wrench on them, but I loosened/tightened them with my Leatherman Micra, and did not bear down on them at all, and, ..... they are still weeping when the temp gets close to about 90 degrees. I am pretty sure the screws are not too tight. I don't think the resevoirs are over-filled, but maybe they are -- the fluid shows half a bubble when the the bike is upright and the front tire/handlebars are pointing straight ahead -- Does that sound like the correct level?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Was there any defect or improvements made in the master cylinder gaskets? Anyone had any luck swapping the gaskets?

The fluid just weeps around the gaskets, but I am afraid I'm going to get brake fluid on my paint at some point, plus I'm tired of carrying a paper towel in my pocket on hot days. Guess I can get a tube of silicone or Mr. Gasket.

I did enter it in a bike contest on Saturday and got beat by a stock DX, so I guess the bike could just be sad, however, that would be very out of character ...... I would rather expect it to get pissed off, drunk and want to fight.

Thx for your thoughts. cw.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Make sure the level is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the top of the reservoir. They all will weep if they are filled all the way up. The rubber actually has a small vent and the side of the top you can see the vent crease in.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Max -- I'll pull the covers off tomorrow and draw a little fluid out and see if that helps.

See ya. cw.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Thanks for asking, and Max for answering - I have the same problem, and it has me worried I will ruin my paint, too. Glad to know it is not just me!
Leaks - I guess it would not be a Harley without them!!!!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have the same problem at my clutch master,the paint is actually bubbling on the lid from where it's been leaking,The brake weeps at the sight glass,but no bubbling,yet.

There were 2 new masters ordered and when they arrived they were chrome and I refused them,imagine,me refusing free chromed components!
The painted set is on back order,so this kinda shows there must be a problem other than a few bikes.
The clutch seems to be getting worse and I'll be taking a visit to the service manger on Monday to find some masters,even if they have to rob a set from a new bike.I'm not pissed,I just don't want DOT4 fluid on my paint.
I sure do wish I had DOT5 in this system.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
The dealer replaced both covers and gaskets for me about 6 mos ago. I expected they would start leaking again but they haven't.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Don't over tighten the screws on the lid. If you do the lid distorts and the master cylinder will not seal correctly. Don't run the fluid level too high either, make sure it is below the rubber cover. If it is higher tightening the lid will squeeze some fluid up and out the cover. Also, if you ever remove a brake hose be certain to use a brand new copper crush washer every time. Re-using a copper crush washer guarantees a leak.
Dot 5 brake fluid would not harm the paint but it gives lousey brake feel. Anyone remember the wooden feel of the brakes on an old '80 Sportster? Dot 4 gives superior feel at the lever and because of it Harley brakes now feel as good and stop as wll as other makes, but one does have to be careful to prevent leaks that will damage the finish.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
I have the same problem at my clutch master,the paint is actually bubbling on the lid from where it's been leaking,The brake weeps at the sight glass,but no bubbling,yet.

There were 2 new masters ordered and when they arrived they were chrome and I refused them,imagine,me refusing free chromed components!
The painted set is on back order,so this kinda shows there must be a problem other than a few bikes.
The clutch seems to be getting worse and I'll be taking a visit to the service manger on Monday to find some masters,even if they have to rob a set from a new bike.I'm not pissed,I just don't want DOT4 fluid on my paint.
I sure do wish I had DOT5 in this system.

Elrod on the V-Rod
Change to dot 5 it works..............:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts