Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday some asshat clipped me while riding and damaged my pipes. Luckily I saw him and dodged so the pipes took the brunt of it.
While riding home the bike was running a little rougher than usual (exhaust leak?) Got home took some pics and noticed the rear exhaust is slightly dislodged from the engine and a portion of the snap ring is popping out. My question: is the bike safe to ride until I get a new exhaust and sort this out? Don't want to cause any engine damage. No leaks or loss of fluids. Bike starts up fine.

Attachments

·
2003VRSA, 2003FLHRCI
69 Posts
If its leaking right there at the exhaust flange i would only run it to get it repaired.
I’m sure some will saw to run it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That one nut looks like it as the very end. I would not ride around with the bike like that.

If you have basic wrenches then it is not hard to reach in there and take off the exhaust and put everything back together as it should be. All it takes is to remove the sprocket cover and slowly inch out those bolts from each side.

I am not convinced that the aftermarket exhausts on these bikes don't leak a little. I end up using Copper gasket maker to seal mine in really well.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
That one nut looks like it as the very end. I would not ride around with the bike like that.

If you have basic wrenches then it is not hard to reach in there and take off the exhaust and put everything back together as it should be. All it takes is to remove the sprocket cover and slowly inch out those bolts from each side.

I am not convinced that the aftermarket exhausts on these bikes don't leak a little. I end up using Copper gasket maker to seal mine in really well.
Not convinced that difference in the nuts is accident related. Looks like bad installation, overtightened on one side. Need to slack off the one side and tighten the other side. They should be pulled up evenly a little at a time on each side alternately.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not convinced that difference in the nuts is accident related. Looks like bad installation, overtightened on one side. Need to slack off the one side and tighten the other side. They should be pulled up evenly a little at a time on each side alternately.
Agreed.

·
2003VRSA, 2003FLHRCI
69 Posts
Yesterday some asshat clipped me while riding and damaged my pipes. Luckily I saw him and dodged so the pipes took the brunt of it.
While riding home the bike was running a little rougher than usual (exhaust leak?) Got home took some pics and noticed the rear exhaust is slightly dislodged from the engine and a portion of the snap ring is popping out. My question: is the bike safe to ride until I get a new exhaust and sort this out? Don't want to cause any engine damage. No leaks or loss of fluids. Bike starts up fine.
Looking at pic #3 from the way i see it, it appears that the retaining clip which keeps the flange in place, is at the wrong place. Not 100% certain but it looks like the retaining clip is behind the flange and it should be in front. I would take that header off and start over, something does not look correct, at least it is definitely tightened to much on one side. Also, on those headers i believe you would use the thin cometic exhaust port gaskets not the thick OEM ones. Good luck an keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts