Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a little History.

I had a mishap on 294 South outside Chicago during my ride back to Michigan from MWT7. I came across a 7 - 10 inch drop in the highway where the surface had been removed for repaving. The bump or what ever you want to call it was NOT IDENTIFIED - NO SIGNS - NOTHING to warn you that it was coming. :banghead:

I thought I bent the front the rim but it was OK. However my rear tire slammed so hard up into the rear fender that it completely destroyed by LED Turn signal kit. Further inspection after I got home I also discovered that the bolts from the rear base plate had been driven into the fender see pictures.

I will post more details as to what I going to do in another thread.

Attachments

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
That was a hard hit to do all that, glad nothing more happened

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a hard hit to do all that, glad nothing more happened

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks Lane, It took me completely by surprise

I figure I had about 35 pounds of luggage and tools mounted directly over the rear tire. Take into account I lowered the bike and I had the rear inner cut out to fit over my 240 tire. There wasn't much between the tire and fender.

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your mishap. Happening in Chicago, not a surprise. I am totally amazed you didn't go down and/or get hurt (very glad you didn't do either!!!). That totally sucks. Hope you get things fixed up quickly.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
:them:

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
All that I hit was 10 miles of traffic, on Rte 80, on my way home. Glad you were not hurt!

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I hate when they pave over a highway. At the bridges around here they never lay a length of patch longer than about a foot so it is a steep jump over one end and a steep drop over the other.

They put signs but I would have to drop down to 20 MPH to avoid bottoming out and that is not going to happen on a 65 MPH highway. Is it really that much trouble to feather out the transition further so the "bump" is not a friggen speed bump on 65 MPH highways?????

:soapbox:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Glad you were not hurt. Was passing through that area last summer. Bad roads. They are probably spending all their money on registering the dead, felons, and illegal immigrants to vote. :)

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
DAYUM KELLY!!!! GLAD YOU'RE OKAY!!!

Man, the D-Town guys are making me nervous with all these mishaps!!! :wazzup: Maybe Hotfoot has the right idea....let's go boat shopping! :hidesbeh: :D

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt . I would suggest that you check your upper shock bolts . If you bottomed that bad , your may have bent/stretched those bolts . Was installing saddle bags , and found that mine were bent .
Mike

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you weren't hurt . I would suggest that you check your upper shock bolts . If you bottomed that bad , your may have bent/stretched those bolts . Was installing saddle bags , and found that mine were bent .
Mike
Thanks for the tip. I will check the shock bolts tomorrow after work to see if they are bent of not.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DAYUM KELLY!!!! GLAD YOU'RE OKAY!!!

Man, the D-Town guys are making me nervous with all these mishaps!!! :wazzup: Maybe Hotfoot has the right idea....let's go boat shopping! :hidesbeh: :D
Hey crap happens all the time. It was unfortunate but it sure as hell isn't going to stop me from riding.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Kelly, You really need to check the swingarm too. I bet it is bent.

Look around the brake caliper area and check the rotor.

I would file a claim it can not hurt, take lots of pics to send in to.

Sorry this happened and glad you where not hurt. OH MY BACK!

If you need any help let me know.

Rod

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow.... I think I would have had to change pants after that. Did it slamming so hard rip up your tire?

Also glad your not injured!
Oh I almost filled my pants!

Some how the rear shock bolts, swing-arm, tires and rims came out UN-damaged. I guess it was JUST dumb luck.

Progressive insurance came out to the house and reviewed everything, the guy took a boat load of pictures and he even looked at the frame to make sure there was no damage. Then he issued me a check on the spot for the LED light kit. I learned that there's no deductible on aftermarket custom parts up to $3000.00, the rear fender on the other hand is my dime to replace ($450.00).

Note to everyone KEEP all of your receipts and take lots of pictures to document every aftermarket part or custom change you make. Lucky for me I had everything they needed to substantiate my claim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts