Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a hook up on the Dakota Digital Guages?? Would like to get one for my bike and save all I can..

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
found one. Any one looking for these type of gauges, we have a sponsor that is Riders Discount!! Mike is the man you need to speak with.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Very nice setup. I looked into those gauges a year or two back, choked hard on the price.
I had to do a lot of soul searching myself but IMHO they are worth it. Never cared for the looks of the stock gauges.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Is the wiring plug and play or is it a pick and hope its right JOB?
The Dakota Digital gauges are NOT plug and play. They come with about 10 dangling wires. You have to add connectors and a housing to put them in. Most of the wires will mate to the existing harness connector. A couple of exceptions are the speed sensor and the Engine speed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
RustyG...
You say the exceptions are the speed sensor and the engine speed.so what did you do to make them work and do you have a diagram of how you wired the gauge set-up?.

I am also curious to where you got the correct wiring plug to make it work.........Andy

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
RustyG...
You say the exceptions are the speed sensor and the engine speed.so what did you do to make them work and do you have a diagram of how you wired the gauge set-up?.

I am also curious to where you got the correct wiring plug to make it work.........Andy
So everything matches except two, any info or pics of the procedure, thanxs
OK Guys. Here is three pictures for you. The first is the first page of the install document. It shows the wiring diagram for the gauges. The second is my order from Batts Racing showing the connectors and receptacle needed.
The connectors are crimp on. Unless you have the appropriate crimping tool be prepared to use needle nose pliers and a soldering iron. If not done perfectly the pins will not fit in the receptacle so I suggest you order several extra pins. You will need to trim the crimp tangs slightly for them to fit in the receptacle.
The Pn DTM04-12PB is the one that connects to the D.D. wires. The other is identical to what is on the wiring harness so you should not have to order it. A couple of pins are not used on the connector so you will need to order some "Sealing Plugs" to fill the holes for weatherproofing.

You will need a bracket to mount on your Risers. Because my stock risers were not acceptable for this application I installed after market risers, ordered a bracket from D.D, BRK-5006, to wrap around these and the gauges were installed on the bracket.

As to which wire goes in which hole in the receptacle just match them to the existing Wiring harness requirements. You will need a electrical diagram for that. Attached is the page from my 2007 that shows the instrument module connection.
For the speed sensor connection I tapped off the wire leading from the speed sensor behind the back cylinder. The Tachometer signal I tapped off the rear coil Yellow/Blue wire. Someone on the forum pointed out that the ECM Pin 3 may be an alternative to splicing into the wiring for the tachometer signal. I do not know if this will work. I then ran both in a wire loam along the right side of the bike to the gauges into a separate two pin connector I had sitting around.

Tha Dakota Digital gauges do not work with the new Sonar based gas gauge sending units. I Gerry-rigged a old style sending unit into my fuel flange so I have a fuel gauge.

It has been three or more years since I did this project and I apologize if my memory fails me. Dementia is setting in and I sometimes remember things that never happened and forget some things that did.

Here is a LINK
to my initial foray into this project.

Good luck.

EDIT: The above link shows Solid socket pins. These are not the kind you want. You want the stamped kind.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts