Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been starting to look around at changing my gauges. I have been researching the dakota digital ones. Are there other options? I read a little about a V&H display but doesn't look to be available any longer.
Any cons of going to a different display?
I am not completely sold on the dakota ones, but starting to look around.

Thanks,

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
You can also buy a 15 dollar or so bluetooth adapter and plug it in the dataport with some work. a app on the smartphone shows the gauges. Info is floating around on this forum.. don't know if it is a permanent option though.. have seen smartphone holders build in airboxes or on the bars..
There where/are Vgauges.

I also do some work on the gauges to make theme different. maybe only colors or faceplates. a lot brighter and better divided backlight changes already a lot on the whole 'looks' and creates a wide smile in stead of the weak stock yellow/greenish. Or as different as putting it in the airbox and or have the Speed and RPM needle swapped in position? It also have a MXrevLED who functions as a shiftlight... (see avatar on the left for a piece of the idea).
Angelo

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the P Dash setup, just looking for something a little more permanent.
I also read that the dakota digital isn't compatible with 2007 models for fuel display. I am assuming that means any models 2007 and up?
Has anyone figured out how to make it work?

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
Fuel is not presented in the digital bus so not displayed. is for all model years. I made a separate fuel gauge with leds in a row ones just for that reason for a customer ones. i'll stick with my trusted gauges. everything works.. including fuel gauge:D
Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
I have the P Dash setup, just looking for something a little more permanent.
I also read that the dakota digital isn't compatible with 2007 models for fuel display. I am assuming that means any models 2007 and up?
Has anyone figured out how to make it work?
I installed DD gauges (MCV-7200) and had to retrofit an older style ( Ball and stick) sending unit to get the DD to display fuel correctly.
Been working just fine for several years now.

·
undertakerjr
29 Posts
I have an 07 with the Dakota MCV-7000 series and it works fine. My understanding of the fuel reading is a sender problem not related to the gauge.

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
The V-Gauge works great, have one on my 03 for many years. It does not show fuel level, but does show fuel used, instant fuel mileage and average fuel mileage and it is adjustable so you can get it right on. It also shows a whole bundle of other stuff, rpm, mph, gear, engine temp, air temp, altitude, and it has a drag race function that will show quarter mile time and speed, rpm and speed at each gear change as well as all the fuel stuff. Really a good setup and made just for the V Rod.

Mike

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got a response back from dakota digital and they are stating the fuel display will work.; It was only 2007 that had the problem.... Not sure how that would be, but oh well.
I am still looking into it, wouldn't mind finding more out about the V-gauge but those seem difficult to get. I have searched them and read everything I can find about them.
Too bad they only came in Chrome..

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a v-gauge. Love it, wouldn't want to be without it. Also have it hooked up to the o2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
I have an 07 with the Dakota MCV-7000 series and it works fine. My understanding of the fuel reading is a sender problem not related to the gauge.
Interesting. What model bike you have? Do you have the sonar based gauge or the stick and ball version? For love or money I could not get the sonar based version to work at all.

·
undertakerjr
29 Posts
Interesting. What model bike you have? Do you have the sonar based gauge or the stick and ball version? For love or money I could not get the sonar based version to work at all.
It is the VRSCA and whatever came stock as far as I know. I bought the bike used.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts