Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so we're just supposed to give a healthy twist and the grips come off? My left grip is on and isn't coming off that easy. And how about the right side? I don't want to twist the throttle as hard as the left.

The HD instructions for the new grips indicate that the service manual needs to be consulted for removal of the right grip.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
You have to disconnect the throttle cables from the right grip and it will slide right off. I believe the left grip is glued somehow, not sure what it takes to remove......I am sure Max or someone on here does though.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
If you can slip something like a zip tie under the grip, you can squirt hair spray in there and work it around. Works on glued on mountain bike grips. I havent done a right side yet, so I will side with Brent

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The stock left grip is best cut off with a razor blade or knife. The right grip you want to loosen the throttle cable adjuster to get some slack in the cable then remove the upper switch housing and remove either of the two eyelets first and then rotate the grip and remove the second cable then the grip will slip right off.

Max

·
Registered
230 Posts
Once throttle cables are disconnected, right side slips off. I found that a small flat blade screwdriver about 6" long works very well to loosen the glue. Just keep movin it around the grip until you make it full circle. :2cents:

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I try that left grip again but it's really on there. Didn't think I'd have to disassemble the switch housing just to remove the stock grips. Since it is going to snow AGAIN I'll have time tonight to fuss with it.

If it keeps snowing, I'm afraid I'll just keep modding the VROD. :mrgr:

·
Speed Freak
88 Posts
Max said:
The stock left grip is best cut off with a razor blade or knife. Max

That is just how I did it. What are the odds you will want to reuse that cheap piece of rubber anywho...

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gave the left grip a good twist and it loosened a bit so I razored it off.

I've been trying to get the right grip on for a few hours now has me really ticked off. Keep dropping the brass nuts and just can't get it on [email protected] The 28T HD kit was a breeze compared to this grip install. Maybe i'll have a beer break and try it again later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts