Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys....I know we have all gone back and forth on this ....once and for all,can all you guys who have done this give me exactly which parts are needed to go to D bars on DX...

seems everything I read says Thrott and IDLe cables are same lengths on D and DX...also,It seems clutch hose is OK...but the brake hose is too short.

so,if all my searching is correct,we should ONLY NEED the FRONT BRAKE hose right?...

can someone verify this for me..and also need the front brake hose part number in black.

thanks
dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
researching this now.....

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok guys...well i hope i ordered the right stuff...dug up part numbers and here is what i ordered from chicago HD....this is all assuming that ALL i need to replace is front brake line...Hope thats all i need!

3 x 41751-06A (41751-06A) = $3.36.....Gaskets
1 x 56206-96 (56206-96) = $4.96....New Grip for left side
1 x 44736-06 (44736-06) = $84.00....Brake line from D model

I also think its a great idea to own the shop manual,so i ordered one of them too....

1 x 99501-08 (99501-08) = $48.00...shop manual English.

Ill keep ya all posted on my project of installing AW bars(with welded risers cutoff) onto my DX....they are off for powdercoating this week.....Ill update any pics of install in my gallery when i get it done.

Dan

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
good luck :thumb:

I've been seeing you ask your question but I just didn't have the answer for you, hopefully you get what you need!

·
Cruzin the Dark Side
320 Posts
I finally put my D-bars on last week. All that is needed is the front brake line - pn 44736-06, and you might want to put on new washers/gaskets (6) too. Pn 41751-06. They probably aren't required, but since you have every thing off - I'd do it for the piece of mind as the old ones already have some crush in them.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sc2whls4me said:
I finally put my D-bars on last week. All that is needed is the front brake line - pn 44736-06, and you might want to put on new washers/gaskets (6) too. Pn 41751-06. They probably aren't required, but since you have every thing off - I'd do it for the piece of mind as the old ones already have some crush in them.

thanks!....for some reason i thought I only needed 3 washer/gaskets...do i need 6?

also,can you tell me exactly what you do when you remove line?..doesnt the brake fluid drip all out?...is there a clean way to do the swap so not to get fluid all over?..i assume they need to be bled after?

thanks!
dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i must be blind....I went out and looked closer and yes we need 6 washer/gaskets for the entire front brake line.

Dan

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I've never taken off the brake lines but I've heard you DO NOT want the fluid on paint!!!!

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
Dan...on mine I had to replace the clutch hose and the throttle cables also. I bought a clutch hose for a '07 AW, it is steel braided. The accessory catalog back in multi-fit has longer throttle cables they also are steel braided.

·
Cruzin the Dark Side
320 Posts
Just open one of the caliper bleeders and (with a hose attached) pump the reservoir dry just like you were bleeding the brakes. When it is empty, you can remove the hose without any dripping (have some clear water handy to clean the paint if you do get a drip). Then bolt on the new hose and refill the reservoir. Bleed the brakes, refilling the reservoir as necessary. Took me a total of 20 minutes from start to finish.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone!....sounds easy enough!....and thanks for the tip on emptying the reservoir first,before taking apart..great idea!

the clutch line on the 08 is different looking then other yrs,i believe it has something to do with slipper clutch...it seems to have some play so it should reach fine....in another thread i read that the D and DX models(07s) have same clutch line part numbers.

now I am just waiting for the Line to come in....so i got to trimming the Dogs a$$ today....gonna post pics in a sec.

thanks
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
redline8100 said:
o and good luck on getting the brake line, took me 2 months because of "back-order"

holy crap really?...that is horrible...i noticed the AW brake line(braided) was 20 bucks cheaper...and I nearly ordered that to save the bucks but thought it wouldnt look as good as its braided not black....

man,i hope mine doesnt take that long!...i want to get these bars on ASAP!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts