Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...after breaking off a spark plug in my cylinder head I've decided to do a mod and have SE CNC Heads and Cams installed.

I'm being told that it will take 10 hours to do this job. What's involved in a job like this and does that sound about right for the time spent?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The time sounds right, I honestly don't know why you don't try to get the plug threads out and wait until you really need to do the work though. Just changing heads and cams is going to be very hard to even feel the difference IMHO.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Max said:
The time sounds right, I honestly don't know why you don't try to get the plug threads out and wait until you really need to do the work though. Just changing heads and cams is going to be very hard to even feel the difference IMHO.
I'm siding with Max on this. Without turning the engine over, while taking all of the precautions outlined, why not try and extract the threads? You might be surprised to find they will turn easier than you think.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I just got a call from Scott and he was able to pull the threads with NO problem. Came out real easy I was told.

Congrats Scott, you can relax a little now.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max said:
Max is a very, VERY wise man!

I posted this thread and he responded with the wisdom I've witness here before. He got me thinking...hell...I'm going to send $1400 getting the SE Heads and Cams installed...what do I have to loose? Go and spend the $14 for an easy out set and extension bar and just try it!

Sure enough...carefully slip it down the hole. Gave it a good - not to hard - tap with the hammer, said a little prayer, and whala! It screwed right out!

Thank God I put a plentiful amount of Anti-Seize on it. I'll post pics later tomorrow and get your guys feedback on what I should do next - btw...did this extraction and immediately put the cover back on bike. Don't want to screw with the positive Karma today!

Tomorrow I'm also going to hit the green donation button!! This forum and it's membership has been a huge support and guidance councilor for me!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
So glad to hear it worked out.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Good job!! I believe the next step would be to "re-construct" the spark plug to see if anything is missing. Any small fragments? And then go from there.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
cool, your way ahead of the mistake curve. Be sure with the next plug to spin it in with the socket and extension by hand, and no more than a 1/8 turn as mentioned by Doc in the other thread.

As posted above, double check for broken debirs, and vacuum if need be.

I knew a guy who ran his plugs hand tight so he could pull them and change them without needing a wrench. This was on an air cooled model. That tells you how little torque is really needed.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...here's are the pieces. The thread that came out married perfectly with the plug. It was a very clean break. That's the compression rink to the right.

100_0166.JPG

Before installing the new plug I went to the hardware store and purchased a 1/4" width tube about 18" long and duct-taped it to my vaccum cleaner. Stuck it down into the cylinder and vacced it out really good. Then sealed the vac over the hole and suctioned anything out that way.

I used a No. 4 - 1/4" Easy Out drill bit, lightly tapped with a hammer. Looked inside the thread and no residual metal from the tap.

With everything cleaned out and a new plug installed - hand tight with an 1/8 turn of a socket wrench (as indicated on the plug box). I reconnected everything, said alittle prayer again, hit the starter and it purrs like a kitten!!!!

Thank you all for your support!

Please...now go to the Home page and hit the green donation button so that this forum can continue to help us all!!!

:)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Scott I'm so glad to hear this had a complete happy ending. Looking at the picture it was a clean break and should not have left anything behind but being safe isn't a bad thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts