Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends:

Just wanted share the results of my attempt to make a touring windshield for a Night Rod.
Now I have a good windshield to tour behind on cold, wet, or just long trips! I wish I had had this on my last trip from Plano, TX to Colorado!

I bought a used windshield for $20 on craigslist.org, originally made by Slipstreamer. Since I had the only windshield Harley makes, the mid sized one, I was able to use the factory Harley mounting hardware.

You will need a drill bit made for plastics, or a good Uni-bit to drill into the plastic. You will want to use a plastic bit to drill a starter hole, and then use your step bit or Uni-bit to drill to size. Make your hole a little bit bigger than the fittings, because your windshield will shake, rattle, and flex with not only the movement of the wind and the bike, but also with changes in temperature.

Also, a band saw with a fine metal blade works great, but I can say with great certainty that a radial saw will fill your garage with little sharp plastic slivers! And possibly your face, but that's a story for another time!

It took a lot of filing to make everything fit, but I really like the result. It's a fair amount quieter behind the shield, and a lot more relaxing on a long ride.

Two things are noticeable- one, you hear more engine and intake noise, which is very cool. Two, at a stoplight the windshield keeps more of the engine heat right around you.

My bike generally does not have the windshield on it, but for trips, you can't beat the flexibility! If the pics don't come through, send me a note and I'll forward pictures.

See you in KC!

Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Good Job! Where in Plano are you? I'm making the run to Colorado on Aug 1....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colorado trip!

Danii:

First, thanks for the kind words. I live off of Plano Parkway and Midway, AMLI Apt. If you'd like to check it out, drop by. I fix up old bikes in my garage, but right now I don't have a project, except finding a new job! My position was eliminated 2 weeks ago. My background is in sales- high tech/telecom/internet/web hosting. If you hear of anything....

You are heading North to Colorado on the 1st, and I'm leaving for there and for Mt. Rushmore and maybe Yellowstone on the 4th of August, a Saturday AM departure. Aren't we the lucky ones!

Chris

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
We're taking a run to Hulett from Spearfish a week from Wed.... Check the Sturgis Thread!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts