Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I installed an HD Custom Solo Seat (51595-05) like the one that came on the Screamin Eagle V-Rods. I got it on ebay. Was an easy install.

First thing I noticed was that it was a really nice fit. The passenger pillion is much lower and a bit smaller so it fits into the fender baseplate rather than sitting on it. So it exposes the chrome baseplate a lot more.

Second thing I noticed is the vinyl feels like real leather. And it's soft too.
The seat itself is wider and the back support is shorter. The seat height looks about the same but flatter so it doesn't have that saddle look. It's a totally different profile.

After taking the bike for a spin and testing the new seat I really liked it. I noticed my riding position had changed. It pushed me forward a bit. So I'm a bit closer to the bars and pegs. It's a lot more comfortable. The backrest is a lot more cushy and conforms to your lower back. It feels like its rounded and hugs your lower back and butt. The seat is much softer so you fit into it better. It is a serious improvement over the stock seat. With my feet on the front pegs I felt like I could ride all day except that my legs had to adjust to a new riding position. They were not quite as streched out as before.

The disadvangage is that since it's pushing you forward a bit, it's a bit more cramped in the mid pegs position. Only raising the seat height would solve that problem. I think a 2 inch jell pad would do it.

Since it's wider, it rubs more on the inside of your thighs. So you have a wider stance when your stopped at a light. Not good for shorter people.
I find it rubs a lot more when you take off and it's a bit obstructive maneouvering around the mid controls on a start and stop. But aside form that its still more comfortable even with your feet on the mid pegs.

My conclusion is, that it is a significant improvement to the bike's rideability and comfort for the highway and a slight detriment for city driving.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Nice write up...good to see someone trying something different.

However, I gotta do it...

:worthless

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your absolutely right Nightmare.

Unfortunately my digital camera is misplaced somewhere, possibly in my garage. As soon as I find it I will post some pics.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I run the solo seat on mine and agree it is very comfortable and soft, but it did set me forward a little bit compared to the badlander and willie g seat that I ran previously. So I took the cover halfway off the seat and trimmed 3/4" off of the backrest part of the seat foam and reinstalled and pulled the cover tight again and stapled it back to the seat pan with a standard staple gun and 3/8" staples. Now it fits me perfectly and it's the seat that I will stick with now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts