Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ride 2 up on the V-Rod for any distances your partner will complain that the stock sissybar and touring backrest isn't very comfortable.

When I was shopping for touring bags, I had a hard time finding any for the V-Rod. I called T-Bags to see if they had a custom pocket for the V-Rod touring backrest in production. The lady told me that since the sissybar was so low it wouldn't support many of their big bags fully loaded. I ended up getting a Saddlemen Renegade that has a universal mounting system. Their universal mounting system is different than my Brother's T-Bag, it has a flap that goes under the backrest, and mounts to the V-Rod reaonably well.

I found a guy on eBay that was selling a sissybar that is 6inches heigher than stock and fits the stock backrest. I missed the auction so I emailed him direct to see when/if he would be selling other ones. He replied that he could make any size sissybar.

I ordered one 4inches heigher than stock, and it arrived two weeks later. The product was exactly to the height I requested. It arrived chromed and the screw holes were recessed like the original. It fit without any problems. I had my girlfriend sit on the back and she loves the position of the backrest. And my motorcycle luggage should fit better with a higher seat to strap it to.

Look at the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The sissybar was $100 plus $12.50 for shipping.

I forgot to add the guy who did this for me is Brian Chapman and his email address is [email protected]. If you order one from him tell him "Bruzer" sent you. You won't get a discount or any kick back, I just want him to know that I am spreading the word.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sissy Bar

G'day Bruiser.
Thanks for posting the photos of the back rest. I have the full Sundowner and back rest set up, and my wife hates the V Rod compared to the Road King we sold!
I was concerned with the leverage effect of the extended sissy bar on the small mounting points. If the pillion sits back too hard, too often, do you think they could easily strip out the mounting bolts?
If not, I may just order one.

Best wishes from Oz.

Ken.

Bruzer said:
The sissybar was $100 plus $12.50 for shipping.

I forgot to add the guy who did this for me is Brian Chapman and his email address is [email protected]. If you order one from him tell him "Bruzer" sent you. You won't get a discount or any kick back, I just want him to know that I am spreading the word.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bruzer said:
If you ride 2 up on the V-Rod for any distances your partner will complain that the stock sissybar and touring backrest isn't very comfortable.

When I was shopping for touring bags, I had a hard time finding any for the V-Rod. I called T-Bags to see if they had a custom pocket for the V-Rod touring backrest in production. The lady told me that since the sissybar was so low it wouldn't support many of their big bags fully loaded. I ended up getting a Saddlemen Renegade that has a universal mounting system. Their universal mounting system is different than my Brother's T-Bag, it has a flap that goes under the backrest, and mounts to the V-Rod reaonably well.

I found a guy on eBay that was selling a sissybar that is 6inches heigher than stock and fits the stock backrest. I missed the auction so I emailed him direct to see when/if he would be selling other ones. He replied that he could make any size sissybar.

I ordered one 4inches heigher than stock, and it arrived two weeks later. The product was exactly to the height I requested. It arrived chromed and the screw holes were recessed like the original. It fit without any problems. I had my girlfriend sit on the back and she loves the position of the backrest. And my motorcycle luggage should fit better with a higher seat to strap it to.

Look at the pictures.
Looks good. By the way, what kind of seat is that?

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
vrodfan said:
Looks good. By the way, what kind of seat is that?
It is the Sundowner Seat., very comfortable and 100% better than stock:D:D

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Bruzer said:

Bruzer, How do you like your Saddlemen Saddlestow Renegade Bag??? I am looking at getting one. Did you order it through the website you posted? Thank you in advance. Jason

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Teppo, the email addr I have for Brian Chapman is: [email protected]

That is an underscore "_" between chapman & 9489

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Be patient, maybe attempt another email.... Its possible he got hit by one of the worms out recently.... also, he builds custom bikes and makes other custom parts for bikes (according to brochure that came with my sissy bar). I think he is a 1 man shop, but not sure. When I contacted him, it was no problem. It was definitley simpler than the wheels I ordered from Pro-One.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah sorry about my late reply. It is a Sundowner seat and it works great for my girlfriend.

The quality of the sissy bar is as good as the HD one. The bar is a little thicker steel (chromed) than the original. I don't see how it could strip out the bolts. The new bar fits into the groove and uses the stock bolts.

The Renegade bag works very well. I like the way it mounts better than the T-Bag universal system my brother has. I didn't get the bag at that web site. I got mine at Dennis Kirk for around $189, with free shipping.

If you have any more questions let me know.

·
WEB Super Freak
35 Posts
I actually emailed him about a week ago to create one of the custom bars. He had replied and had said there was a death in the family and would be out of town for a week or so. Give him a few more days.

:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just received my 6 inch taller sissy bar from Brian today, and it is well made. Mine contacts the rack a bit on one side, but I'm happy.
Sharlene said it was a lot more comfortable than the OEM item, how ever she hasn't been for a ride yet.
Brian was good to deal with.
I'll probably remove the back rest when not in use as I prefer a low profile to my bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried emailing him last week about a bar I need ASAP... no reply. Anyone know what the deal is?

---Chris

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Try the Kuryakyn one, I have it works great! Much taller than stock, and gives more room on seat because it is pushed back few inches, downside is loose some luggage rack space. No big deal IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would love to have that one but it's back ordered until Sept 8th. I need one by Sept 2nd for our trip to NC and I was hoping Brian could get me set up. I guess this late in the game, my wife is going to have to deal with the HD low bar for the time being. Maybe we'll get her the Kury when we get back...

---Chris

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Do what I did before the kuryakyn bar, put the low bar on without the pad, the pad pushes you too far forward. If she is wearing a leather she will not notice. We never did long trips this way (got the other one so soon didn't get a change) but my wife liked it much better than with the pad. If no leather maybe wrap the bar in a small foam pad. It is not much on back support as much a butt support to keep from falling off. Try a ride around town. Again my wife liked it much better because it game more room on the seat and still kept her form slipping back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts