Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys and girls-
I know there are lots of threads out there about seats. I'm looking into getting a custom seat with some kind of leather inlay and stitching. I've talked to LePera, but I'm not sure that's what I'm going to go with. Anyone out there have a custom seat they like? Post comments and pics if you got em.
Thanks!

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
AKvrod, glad you asked! I got Christmas money from my Mom to get a gel insert for my forward HD seat. I called Butt Buffer today and will hopefully hear from Peter on Monday. What I really want is a gel insert for my forward seat and something like a backrest above it, but I'll let you know if such a thing is possible.

What are you looking for? Something for touring comfort or for style? Not sure we can have both...

Val

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
There are a few "custom" seats available out there......hopefully someone will post a pic or two of whats on the market.

I am making my own, I have taken a spare pillion and seat and attached them together...........then I am having an interior shop foam and cover the new one piece seat pan.

I will post a picture of the completed pan in the morning (if I remember).

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
I purchased a new custom seat for my V-rod from Agoura. If all you want to do is reupholster a seat, then Lepara or Jesse James can do some really nice work. Both LePera and Jesse James hadn't done any anything original with the profile when I spoke with them. However, if you want to go with a slim / low profile design, then go with http://www.agouracustomauto.com/. Mine is gel filled, with tribal stiching.

Attachments

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Val said:
AKvrod, glad you asked! I got Christmas money from my Mom to get a gel insert for my forward HD seat. I called Butt Buffer today and will hopefully hear from Peter on Monday. What I really want is a gel insert for my forward seat and something like a backrest above it, but I'll let you know if such a thing is possible.

What are you looking for? Something for touring comfort or for style? Not sure we can have both...

Val
Hi Val-
I'm mostly wanting a custom look. I have a Sundowner already that I can pop on for really long rides. Comfort is a consideration though. Like I mentioned before, I had talked to LePera because I liked their "Serpent" design with a leather inlay and they have a product called "Biker Gel" for their custom seats that is supposed to be comfy. But, they don't make any V-ROD seats and they said they can't put the biker gel on a stock seat that they re-cover. The search continues...

BTW, I picked up a brand new stock seat w/ passenger pillion cheap on eBay to be recovered if I can find the right combo to go that route.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Here is my seat pan ready for covering. I am going to keep the forward positioning but reduce the overall height and thickness of the seat.

I am planning on using the comfort foam our shop uses for thin foam applications. This foam is kind of hard when you start out but forms to your body for great comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
We picked up one of the Agoura seats as well. I'm a little over 6' and it fits very well (lower and a few inches back) great for short rides. I made the mistake of taking it on a 700 mile 2 days ride in October, still can't feel my a$$.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Got a call back from Butt Buffer

Just now (Sunday morning), in fact. The guy who called, Chris, apologized for not getting back to me on Friday(!), and said that the owner, Peter, had a heart attack before Christmas, is OK, but it still in the hospital for now, and they are running behind because Chris is there by himself.

He said doing the gel install is no problem, but they can't add a backrest to it. He said what they'll do, however, is to make the seat lower when they install the gel, so there is even more of a shelf against my lower back than the forward seat already creates. I have thought I'd like a lower seat anyway, so this should be better, even if its not exactly what I had in mind.

He said they normally are able to turn the seats around in 2-3 days after receiving them. But with him there alone, he's telling people it will take a week now.

So, I'll send it off to him this week and let y'all know how it goes. Then I'll just need some decent weather to test drive it!

Val

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
darrellh said:
I am having a custom seat made by Alligator Bob, http://www.alligatorbob.com/, with leather inlays to match a new paint set. I sent him a stock seat to use, not just for the seat pan but to keep the original lines of the seat. I expect it by end of the month & will post some pic's when I get it.
I have an email in to him already :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had alligatorbob install some gel packs for me. He does good work. You can see him at the motorcycle show in Chicago in February.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts