Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there make a custom seat pan for my R? I am trying to get the seat height lower since Im on the shorter side. I found threads of one guy doing custom seat pans, but he doesnt seem to be around anymore. It seems my only other option is a Corbin Hollywood which lowers you about an inch. Anyone know of a custom shop or other ideas?

·
Keeper of The Kraken
277 Posts
I built my own custom seat pan out of 16 guage steel, welded and bent on a brake........it's still a work in progress. I had to cut down the gas cap, and cut back the inner fender to get the lower height and move the seat back rearward to where I wanted it...

·
pronounced "shane"
441 Posts
I had a custom seat guy work my seat over. He cut out the plastic hot points that stick up into the seat padding, shaved down the foam and molded it to my butt, installed a gel pad, and recovered in leather. So we retained the stock pan, just removed much of it. See my gallery for a pic of it on my bike - it's lower and has a "backstop" to prevent me from sliding backward when accelerating.

I too have short legs and I also went with an expensive pair of shorter rear shocks (see signature). For a quarter of the price though, try these:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117841

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Take a dremmel and cut out hte high points leaving the outer ring and the back. Go to a plastic shop and get some thicker material and a heat gun. Use a rivet gun and attach the frame after shaping the new pan plastic. Go to a foam shop and get some specialized foams. And then find a leather shop to finish it.

I started mine, got to the foam and then found the Corbin.....

·
pronounced "shane"
441 Posts
I just posted some pics in my gallery of the underside of my R seat pan. You can see where the cut outs were made. Holes were filled with a darker colored foam. Two leather straps added to pull the back edge down when the seat is closed. The straps were originally taut (i.e., not contoured to the pan), but by closing the seat and sitting on it, the back edge gets pulled down by the straps and the straps did stretch and contour to the pan.

Because of my short legs, I needed the seat shaved down as far as it could comfortably go and that meant getting rid of those plastic parts that stick up through the foam. If your built like me and you go this route, you won't have enough foam for cushioning and you'll need a 1/2" thick gel insert. I think they're the equivalent of about 2" of foam.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a few ideas now....thanks for the responses everyone.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
See if DancingDogs still has the pan I cut up and reformed. She might be able to get you pics showing how to get even lower...

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
I got to the point of the pop rivets,,,,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone have a stock R seat laying around they want to get rid of? Id like to keep mine intact so I can still ride if I want to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The seat pan is pretty shallow, then you hit frame. Its got a lot of padding to shave down.
Also you could consider lowering the suspension a bit..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I ordered a lowering kit already. I was hoping to find a stock seat that I can modify so I can leave mine alone for now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There has been a couple floating around ebay ...

There is a guy that does a lot of vrod parts there... I am sure he has one.

Heres one.. Item number: 190450928597

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow your quick. I will buy that when i get home. thanks again

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Make sure it is a R.... nothing else fits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts