Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in a custom luggage rack that bolts on to the stock base plate? I have a T-Bag and when using the stock luggage rack it hangs over the end. So I made up one that is 13.5 inches and works well. We can power coat black or silver. 100.00 shipped. PM me if your interested.

Attachments

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Do you have a pic installed on a bike? How much for chromed?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can snap a few pictures mounted on the bike. The rack in the picture above I painted with a spray can. I have a powder coater but due to lack of time before I leave for Sturgis had to just get it coated. You would need to find a chrome shop and send it to them. I would guess a chrome shop would charge around 75.00.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Great idea! This would work well for a number of bigger bags. Is it steel ie. stronger than the 10lb limit on the baby HD one?

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I'd be more interested in a wider one than a longer one. Longer just seems to add leverage to the weight, stressing the supports.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beeek said:
Great idea! This would work well for a number of bigger bags. Is it steel ie. stronger than the 10lb limit on the baby HD one?
Yes it is steel. 10lb limit? I have had my T-Bag loaded and it weighed 30lbs++ and never had a problem.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LiquidSilver said:
I'd be more interested in a wider one than a longer one. Longer just seems to add leverage to the weight, stressing the supports.
I totally agree in a wider rack for leverage. You still need the length to be 13" to support the bag so it does not cover up the tail light. The little Harley one is WAY to short.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
gbflex said:
I totally agree in a wider rack for leverage. You still need the length to be 13" to support the bag so it does not cover up the tail light. The little Harley one is WAY to short.
As long as the width doesn't interfere with opening the hard saddlebags.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
gbflex said:
Yes it is steel. 10lb limit? I have had my T-Bag loaded and it weighed 30lbs++ and never had a problem.
Good to know...there was a warning sticker on mine when I got it...but we all know they're always conservative.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
PM sent. (Silver!!!) Sign me up. As I reported elsewhere, I broke mine with my tourpak. This is exactly what I was going to make (some day....).

Excellent work, my man.

This is what the forum is all about!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Daniii said:
PM sent. (Silver!!!) Sign me up. As I reported elsewhere, I broke mine with my tourpak. This is exactly what I was going to make (some day....).

Excellent work, my man.

This is what the forum is all about!

I want one if it holds the tourpak that Daniii has on his bike.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
I also want one..but I don't think it'll allow me to install a Tourpak and be able to open my hard saddlebags.

If there was some way for you to design something that would lift up two or three inches to allow the saddlebag lids to swing open just enough to squeeze into. I'm not sure if 2 or 3 inch long standoffs would look bad.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beeek said:
I also want one..but I don't think it'll allow me to install a Tourpak and be able to open my hard saddlebags.

If there was some way for you to design something that would lift up two or three inches to allow the saddlebag lids to swing open just enough to squeeze into. I'm not sure if 2 or 3 inch long standoffs would look bad.
You guys just let me know what you want. More important if you have a stock rack now let me know how much wider will work with your hard bags. I have leather ones so it's not an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
gbflex,

Sign me up, for the same size you have in photo, 13.5 long in Silver.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys, thanks for the interest. It look's like we have enough interest to bang a few out. I am leaving for Sturgis and hope to have a proto-type by the middle of August.

Next version will be 1.5 wider on each side. Unit will bolt to the stock base plate and will be 11.5 W X 13.5 L. I am also going to power coat them and offer Black and Sliver. Please PM me if you are interested in purchasing one. Thanks. See you when I get back!:thumb:

·
2,552 Posts
gbflex said:
Ok guys, thanks for the interest. It look's like we have enough interest to bang a few out. I am leaving for Sturgis and hope to have a proto-type by the middle of August.

Next version will be 1.5 wider on each side. Unit will bolt to the stock base plate and will be 11.5 W X 13.5 L. I am also going to power coat them and offer Black and Sliver. Please PM me if you are interested in purchasing one. Thanks. See you when I get back!:thumb:

Great idea.
Are they going to be available in chrome? If so I will take one.

Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Frank, When I get back I will get some quotes to have them chromed. I know a few good chrome shops.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I think it will still require a support further back if you move the tourpak back like I did, and then carry 28 lbs of gas (plus all my other crap). With no passenger, however, it may work just fine. I really feel secure, however, with the additional rear support to the HD FPOS brackets. If you go to full sized HD bags, those lids come open without needing the clearance for the tourpak, but may not have the bar I use for my rear support brace.
In the end, let someone follow you and see how much it "bounces". I fear the rack is only supported in the front 3", and all that weight cantilevered out back will fatigue something.
The stock rack was pot metal, and failed in 4 places with my load. If steel, those stresses will be transferred somewhere else (like to the rack base plate mount). A rear support eliminates that stress. I want it to eliminate the rube goldberg aluminum angle I used to stiffen the bottom of the tourpak, which was flexing a bit over time.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts