Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the Gunfire Custom bike for sale in the classifieds on here and it's sharp. But I guess i just never got the whole idea of a custom bike that you can't ride very far, very comfortably. I'm not one to go on short bar hops ( I don't drink ) and I don't care to just go to bike nights to stand around and have people tell me how sweet my bike is, it's just not me, no offense to anyone reading this that's into that kinda thing. I only have 2 bikes, I'd like to have about 6 more, but I gotta tell ya, I just wouldn't have any use for such a good lookin' bike that I couldn't take the wife for a 4 hour ride on, or even myself for a very long ride. Not to mention, I'd hate to get it dirty and spend the countless hours cleaning and shining it back up. I personally think my '03 100th V is almost as good lookin' as that Gunfire Custom, and my bike's probably only worth $8K at best. And given a choice, if I could only have 1 or the other and had to keep/ride it for the next year, I'd take my VROD hands down. Now if he offered to trade me even, of course I'd trade him, then sell it the next day and buy something I could enjoy riding, not just looking at. Besides, I really do LOVE the looks of my V with all the chrome it has, but it's not over done and is a BLAST to ride !!!!!!!
And in this economy, the customs were the first to go splat, resale SUCKS for them. I've seen $55,000.00 bikes go for $10K.
Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Two wheeled Mardi Gras float. Beautiful exterior finish and completely unridable. I don't understand either.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Some guy's enjoy the ride, some guy's enjoy the look. To be honest, the only bike I really care about is the one in my garage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I enjoy looking at them as much as anyone, I just can't see ever owning one, even at the basement prices some are now going for. Different strokes for different folks. I don't mind spending $$$ on guns, some guys don't see any reason to do that, it's all good !!!

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
I certainly feel like the hype of them has died, but then again I'm not in that scene.

·
Chad
263 Posts
I have been around bikes my whole life and have a true passion for them and in a perfect world I'd have dozens of them. Customs and Choppers can be beautiful, have crazy power and some are very comfortable to ride, but they are for people with deep pockets that don't mind missing rides. We have 4 of them in our shop now. By April they will all be up and running and ready to be ridin 2 or 3k before they come back. Sometimes for something small sometimes something major, but they always come back. I love to ride and have yet to hit the lottery so I'll keep my HD's and if you are a friend, I'll loan you one when custom breaks down.

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
I guess it all depends on perspective ...

A lot of the bikes on this site that have been modified in reality have the same riding position as the custom bike that is for sale in the classifieds. Some people like it and some don't. I could argue that the stock riding position on the AW/DX/M is absolute nonsense from a pure comfort position (when compared to really comfortable bikes), but most of us love it for what it is

I've actually been on a few full out custom bikes that were extremely comfortable and very enjoyable to ride

I have a few friends that have taken my bike for short rides and claim it is like riding a torture rack ... whereas I have taken the same bike on 800 km day rides through the twisties with a smile on my face the whole time. I find it perfectly fine for me ... and yet for others, they wouldn't do the same ride if I paid them to do it

At the end of the day, some people just like the looks of that style of bike and some don't.

Let's be honest ... there are some bikes on this site that are completely ugly and some that are amazing ... beauty/comfort/style is all inthe eye of the beholder

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I think American customizers are in a rut. There is no imagination any more. Everything is a formulaic homage to Captain America. Enough.
Take a look sometime at what the German and Italian customizers are doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts