Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya’ll,

I’m upgrading to a Metz 200. I removed the rails that need a little shaving. In the process I found a couple of things…

First: I found that the HD dealer that put my luggage rack on, at purchase, used standard bolts to secure the base plate, not metric, and striped the allen head on a rack bolt. HD dealer is normally pretty good but this just made me #^*%@ #%*! The bolts were not only the wrong type but the wrong length and loose. The threads, nuts that are welded to the frame, are torn up as well. Hopefully I will be able to salvage them.

Second : between the rear pulley and wheel I found small pieces of rubber from the “cushion compensator“. I have 5500 miles and this is the first time the wheel has been off. The compensator appears to still fit good in the wheel. Has anyone found the same type thing? Is it any thing to be concerned about or is it normally?

:cool:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
No you get small pieces that come off over time.As long as it's a Tight Fit evenly around your ok.If it's much looser on one side I would replace! :cool:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I'll agree with Kaz on this, it seems to be normal to have small pieces come off but even at 10k miles mine is good and tight.

Max

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
When the exhaust was installed on my bike at the dealer the mechanic scratched the sh%& out of the swingarm with the guide stud.I had the 1000 mile service done at the same dealer and the same mechanic put an ever so small scratch on the air box. the same dips%^ put a new stator in and dinged my chrome and ruined the hot toppers.I'm in the auto repair buiss and give 110% to my career.I despise this ass#@!(*. The strange thing is that 4 years ago I rebuilt his own personal transmission.He does'nt even remember me.I hate this ass^*%$. The transmission is still working.I can't stand this buthol****.
Oh, my rubber is ok at 6300 miles.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
vrsca2003 said:
First: I found that the HD dealer that put my luggage rack on, at purchase, used standard bolts to secure the base plate, not metric, and striped the allen head on a rack bolt. <snip>
I'm not trying to side with the dealer but HD shipped a whole bunch of plates and luggage racks with half the bolts metric and half SAE. The mechanic should have stood back and said WTF rather than force them on but hey, chrome hangers can only think so far outside the box ;)

I had to make an emergency run to the parts store to pickup metric bolts, I ended up replacing the bull sh*t chrome hex heads with good 6 point SS metric bolts for the bolts that mount to the fender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts