Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May put my 2008 DX up for sale. Perfect condition 5K miles. Anyone know a accurate pricing guide? Would it get more exposure on Craig's, cycle trader, or ebay? Anyone with recent experience selling one that could offer advice would be greatly appreciated.

JW
Chattanooga

·
Defender of Freedom
716 Posts
Just use kbb.com and NADA.com to price it, then list it accordingly. I would say use CL (since it's free) and list it with Cycletrader.com. I would also see if your local dealership will do a consignment sale. You agree to what you want out of the bike, then they do all the legwork for pricing, advertising, etc..

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Just remember that kbb only lists a retail price for OTD pricing at dealerships(who offer warranties and guarantees the bike is in working order)...just average out the price in-between from trade in value/retail value. Then add in whatever you want for accessories, fair pricing is about 50% MSRP value.

Also remember this is what you goal should be to get for your bike as a fair price for you and seller, it doesn't leave any negotiating room so you might wanna account for that too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just remember that kbb only lists a retail price for OTD pricing at dealerships(who offer warranties and guarantees the bike is in working order)...just average out the price in-between from trade in value/retail value. Then add in whatever you want for accessories, fair pricing is about 50% MSRP value.

Also remember this is what you goal should be to get for your bike as a fair price for you and seller, it doesn't leave any negotiating room so you might wanna account for that too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it. Hope it's not too late in the season. Hate to part with it; best bike ever, but 2 boys in diapers are taking their $ toll!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to get rid of it.

I'll usually price it out on kbb and nada. From there I checkout my local craigslist or whatever medium you plan on selling it on and try to price it competitive from there. See what they are going for and also search back a few months. I've seen DX's in my area start @ $13k and within 2-3 months list @ $9-10k still w/ no sale. Sucks when/if you have a ton of extras and money into it but in my opinion those were partially lost money the second you purchased them. Thats great it its worth $10k for example, you have $8k into and and ask $18k. People are gonna laugh at your price all day imo. To some degree you are bound by your local market and economy and have to somewhat abide by that.

Not sure if you have sold on craiglist list before but its hit or miss. Great because its free and lots of view but that free and lots of views factor also means potential for lots of idiots before you find an actually seller. "No sir...I don't want to text you back and forth @ 1130pm 100 times while you ask me if I will take a pack of gum, an old dirt bike, and half of what I was asking for vehicle". I sold an SUV and my sportbike on craigslist with luck relatively quick due to good pricing. Both were in great shape, clean, low miles, and tons of extras. I priced them out a little below kbb value and didnt really factor in extras (which I just wrote off). For example I listed and sold my Yamaha R1 for $5000, I think it was worth $5500 or $6000 not considering the extras. When they called or came to check them out I said the price is what it is...firm. I would tell them "you and I both know what I have and what its worth so take it or leave it" (knowing I had the upper hand as far as vehicle and great price) I challenged them to find a better vehicle with low miles in better condition and more accessories, at that point if they did their homework that had nothing to say to that. Needless to say both were sold to the first person who looked at it. Some many call me crazy for taking a hit off the bat. IMO im not up to fielding 100 calls/test pilots from idiots to haggle over a few hundred dollars. I'd rather take the hit, sell immediately, and be stress free over it.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Amen!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have been looking for a long time and i finally picked up a 2008 NRS, ABS and Wireless Key FOB with 5986 miles and no Mods for 9k. The guy was asking 10k and this was by far the cheapest one in the area everyone is asking 9k for their 2003-2006 If you can wait you will get your better price if you don't have the holding power than do what Firemt27 said. And i can not tress it enough do not let any potential buyers take it for a spin unless you have the cash in hand if they wreck the bike it will be you that will end up paying for the repairs and the depreciated cost.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Before you let anyone take your bike for a ride:

1) See the color of their money.
2) CHECK THEIR LICENSE to make sure it is valid and covers a motorcycle.
3) INSIST they wear gloves and a helmet.
4) MAKE SURE you have insurance that covers them and your bike.

·
Vagrant
224 Posts
Hi we just bought a 2009 NRS with ABS/security rack/sissy bar and V&H pipes from a dealer for $11k + tax.

Have seen some crazy ridiculous asking prices - both high & low - from private sellers and dealers eg

Dealer = 2006 vrscr $14,000+ dealer fees
vs
private = 2012 DX for $15,500 ????

Found a really tidy 2009 muscle in South Carolina on craigslist for $12,500 had heaps of practical mods (pipes, throttle bodies, tuner, cruise control etc etc ..) I rang the guy who tools me he had it on craigslist for 2 months and then sold it to local dealer for $11k .....2 days ago .... So I rang the dealer took him by surprise coz they hasn't put it on the floor yet... Asked him to email me a price.....

A day later he wires to say "we had to fix a fork seal" the price is $15,000 ..... Still waiting to hear back about my offer of $12,000 ....

So if it is any help to you - understand that the buyer is now more educated an has more resouces to compare "value for money" than ever before..

My main suggestion is to find the impulse buyer - take it out and meet people, when they compliment it - tell them it is for sale...

Put a for sale sign on it, park it in a high pedestrian traffic area ... Make your Cell phone number the biggest part of the sign so people can see it fom a distance

GLWTS

CHEERS

COXY

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts