Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a cruise control available for our bikes? I was at a swap meet a couple weeks ago and saw one for harleys, but it didn't have the VRSCDX listed as applicable (or any V-Rod for that matter.)

I've got a simple one on my other bike and really like having it. It's not like you can really use it as a cruise control, but it's nice to be able to take your hand off the throttle for a bit to scratch your ass or whatever.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Max was going to give it a try, but didn't ever finish. I think it's doable. Had controls will fit, but the stupid servo unit ifrom HD is HUGE and I don't knwow where to put it.

It'd be a fun project.

For now, we all have the throttle lock.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The throttle lock seems kinda cumbersome, but maybe I'm not using it right. It's either holding my throttle open or letting it go, and I have to turn the adjuster knob while riding... not a simple flick of the thumb like my other bike.

·
Premium Member
11,362 Posts
I installed a true cruise control from a 2002 Road King on my VRSCX and got it working beautifully. It does not work with stock gauges however. Never able to determine why.
It works with the gauges I have on my bike (Dakota Digital MVC7000 series).

Problem is with the VSS and speed sensor output.

Looks ugly hanging from the left side of the bike but I am sure someone with a little metal skills could pretty it up a bit or conceal it somehow. Biggest problem I had was it requires a mechanical connection to the throttle body and there is so little space to do that.

Attachments

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that's an impressive bit of work, Rusty. And looks way beyond simple too, BTW.:notworth:

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
:notworth::notworth:

great work

·
Premium Member
11,362 Posts
Wow, that's an impressive bit of work, Rusty. And looks way beyond simple too, BTW.:notworth:
It was challenging. I need to find a machine shop to make me a nice cover for it.

·
Premium Member
11,362 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have used the Brake Away fiction control for 3 years with no problems. Once a year a little adjustment. Not near as good as electronic, but it works. Use it on every ride, and wonder what I would have done without it.
Roger

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
That's not cruise control. That is Throttle control. or lack thereof.
True cruise control maintains constant speed on flat roads as well as up hill and down hills.
I know but if you are a flat-lander like me, it is nearly as effective, free, and a lot easier on the hand and wrist. :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I ordered one of those throttle lock levers; worth a try for the price, and it's similar to what I'm using for my other bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts