Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's the V-Rod newb again. I have a 2006 Night Rod, I am hoping someone with some techinical manuals can help me out here.

I am looking for the size of the bolts that hold bolt on the controls(clutch/break) to the handle bars.

I need the size of the bolt, so I can figure out which size tap to get, so I can fix a cross threaded screw port in my front break control.

I just got some cosmetic upgrades put on, front and rear axle nut covers, swing arm bolt cover, new grips (i.e. the cross threaded bolt).

Never fear though I also have a SS coolant hose and the Night Rod HD nylon bags coming, so I am sure I will be posting more newbtard questions soon.

I finally got my stock exhaust on, thanks for the help on that.

Would something like this be in the owner's or service manual? Is that really worth the 100 bucks for the both of them?

morf

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
A service manual will pay for itself 10x over by giving you the torque specs so you don't strip the bolts out of the casted parts.

The hand control housings are pretty soft, I've stripped one myself before. So don't feel to badly about it.

You may need to increase the size of the bolt in order to get the thread to bite.

You might also consider going to NAPA and getting the appropriate size helicoil for the hole. You could bring the bolt with you and they could size it for you on the spot.

RJ

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh... am I confused?

I only stripped the head off the bolt trying to manually re-tap the thread with the bolt.

The control is actually cross threaded, it apparently came that way, as the bolt was mangled into the control.

All I need is the bolt size, so I can buy a machine tap, and re-tap it out. That, and replace the bolt, and I should be good to go, with a little paint touch up, of course.

I did get the grips on though. I go the skull grips from HD, and painted in the skull and harley logo to match the front axle bolt covers. They are not too shabby at all, I will get some pics going here eventually.

Thanks,

morf

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Sorry Morf. I'm the one that was confused. I apologize.

The best thing to do is to remove the same bolt on the opposite side hand control. Take it to Napa and match the bolt and the tap. Then you're in buisness.

RJ

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
morf said:
Hey guys, it's the V-Rod newb again. I have a 2006 Night Rod, I am hoping someone with some techinical manuals can help me out here.

I am looking for the size of the bolts that hold bolt on the controls(clutch/break) to the handle bars.

I need the size of the bolt, so I can figure out which size tap to get, so I can fix a cross threaded screw port in my front break control.

I just got some cosmetic upgrades put on, front and rear axle nut covers, swing arm bolt cover, new grips (i.e. the cross threaded bolt).

Never fear though I also have a SS coolant hose and the Night Rod HD nylon bags coming, so I am sure I will be posting more newbtard questions soon.

I finally got my stock exhaust on, thanks for the help on that.

Would something like this be in the owner's or service manual? Is that really worth the 100 bucks for the both of them?

morf
:angeldev: I kinda like that phrase!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yarr

rjrivero said:
Sorry Morf. I'm the one that was confused. I apologize.

The best thing to do is to remove the same bolt on the opposite side hand control. Take it to Napa and match the bolt and the tap. Then you're in buisness.

RJ
Yagh, I will attempt it today.

I have this doomed feeling that I am going to have to buy some ridiculous 50 piece tap set or some garbage, but we shall see.

morf

·
George
5,411 Posts
Morf.... RJ is on to something there! Even if you re-tap the hole, it will be slightly oversize and the bolt can pull out. I'd go with the heli-coil

·
Registered
378 Posts
The are 1/4-20

Assuming we are talking about the clamping bolts, they are 1/4-20 on my 2007 DX. They have a T-25 head.

I can not think of a more ubiquitous tap size in the US than a 1/4-20, starting with your old Radio Flyer red wagon!

Since some of the holes are blind, I would use a bottoming type tap, clear any cuttings with air etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yarrr

JustSam said:
Assuming we are talking about the clamping bolts, they are 1/4-20 on my 2007 DX. They have a T-25 head.

I can not think of a more ubiquitous tap size in the US than a 1/4-20, starting with your old Radio Flyer red wagon!

Since some of the holes are blind, I would use a bottoming type tap, clear any cuttings with air etc.
Got it, thanks for the info man, I taped is out and put in chrome button head bolts. The chrome bolts on the black controls look suprisingly good next to the black and chrome HD skull grips.

Thanks for the help guys.

morf

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yarr

synseer said:
"newbtard questions"

That is catchy!
Yarr it is... especially with me hanging around these forums....

morf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts