Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 VRSCF
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Recently I have noticed a new and very obvious creaking noise when rolling the bike (VRSCF 2012) in and out of the garage, etc. I had a full service done about 1000KM (600mi) ago or so and that included new tires. I've only just noticed it in the last few days. Seems to be coming from under the bike near centre left. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
Belt squeaking in the rear pulley, several ways to fix it. I like to raise the rear wheel, put transmission in neutral and spin wheel while watching how the belt tracks in the pulley. Adjust the wheel so the belt is more or less centered and at the proper tension. It may take a few tries to get it right.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Rear caliper pad rub or the belt tracking over the cogs or belt edge rub on the outer sprocket flange. Due to the rear caliper and the rotor being rigid mounted and the possibilty of the rotor having 0" runout there will always be a rub spot in the rotation with the pads It might not make the noise if it's the belt and you jack the bike up because the belt gets looser in that state. This sound is fairly common and usually a non issue. Check belt tension and lightly tracking to outer edge of rear sprocket as well as clean the belt with soapy water and wipe dry.
On my bike, all things being correct, the odd time I get that sound at very low walking speeds. A light rub of bees wax on the belt edge that contacts the flange eliminates the sound. A belt tends to not run exactly in a straight line due to how it's made so one area might rub the flange more then the rest. This is the area that will make the sound. Bees wax can be had at any archery store. It's used for bow strings.
Ron

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
Chrome pulleys are the worse for squeaking because of the really smooth surface. Commercial belt lube works, as does a bit of dot 5 brake (silicone), fluid rubbed on the belt edge. I always set my belt up to center the pulley when free spinning it because when you are riding there is a little flex in the motor mounts and swing arm mounts that will move the belt to the outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts