Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother is up in PA, right down the road from my dad.

My brother has been buying mad parts from Harley dealers for dirt cheap, IE 50-100 bucks. Like brand new rims (after market ones) for 40 bucks, etc.

They might have a small blemish or something, but 99% new in look. What is strange is that these prices are way wicked cheap. But I don't think anything of it, as I am in NC and could care less what happens in PA.

So I pick up my bike from having some work done and parts replaced by my insurance Co. and I ask Harley here what happens to my old parts. As I am thinking it would be cool to get my old front fender back to chop up, and possible do a custom one.

They inform me that they throw all old parts out in the dumpster, as it wouldn't be very morel to give me the old parts for me to resell online. I told them it was to cut the fender up, and it was the only part I wanted back. But I drop it as it is not a big deal, and I totally understand and agree what they are saying.

But it gets me thinking. How much are the shops making off of parts under the table, after they switch them out. As I called my insurance adjuster and he told me they don't take the old parts.

So I drive back up to Harley, and low and behold no dumpster in the back of the shop.... makes you think

Anyone have any insight into this, or thoughts?

:lamer:

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
They have a certain time frame they are supposed to keep the parts in case the insurance company wants them, which 99.9% of the time they don't. After that time the parts are legally yours. You can also just ask the insurance company to release the parts, after all they belong to the insurance company and not the shop or even yourself. I've done this with parts before to get by the time the shop is supposed to keep the parts.

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
How is life at Fayetville......do you find that when you go off base the civilian public is trying to screw you every chance they get? Do you find that thngs just cost a little more around the army base?

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts

They inform me that they throw all old parts out in the dumpster, as it wouldn't be very morel to give me the old parts for me to resell online. ...
:lamer:
A dealer who has just told you a lie preaching morality to you has got to be the hypocrisy of the century. I have a pretty good feeling who will be selling the parts online.

Get the insurance company involved and confront the dealer. If the insurance company does not want the parts then you are next in the line of ownership. They certainly aren’t the dealers to throw in the dumpster. What:bs:

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is life at Fayetville......do you find that when you go off base the civilian public is trying to screw you every chance they get? Do you find that thngs just cost a little more around the army base?
Yeah both, lol.

A dealer who has just told you a lie preaching morality to you has got to be the hypocrisy of the century. I have a pretty good feeling who will be selling the parts online.

Get the insurance company involved and confront the dealer. If the insurance company does not want the parts then you are next in the line of ownership. They certainly aren’t the dealers to throw in the dumpster. What:bs:
Thanks for the heads up, and setting my mind at ease somewhat. I will do that.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the dealer is hosing you hard! The parts are YOURS, point blank. What you decide to do with them is up to you. They owe you the parts and if they can not produce them they will need to replace. Give them the chance to make it right, then file a claim with the BBB and the state attorney general.
I guaran-phuq-ing-tee that those assholes will resale those parts.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I get All my Parts Back, every time.
My question always is in these instances "When you are so Boldly Lied to" by a Dealership/Service place do you Still go back to that place and do business with them? In this case since its HD do you Still Wear their HD shirts when out and about? I find that Many "Normal Thinking" people who are quite reasonable when it comes to Any OTHER kind of Business will become "Stupid" when it comes to HD dealerships and Still go to the same dealers that have Lied or even done bad work for them in the past. Like BAttered Women, always find an excuse to Go Back.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Almost every dealer sells unclaimed warranty parts,insurance crash parts and customer pay parts.There is usually a person that buys everything from them.They pay scrap prices and good resell components are priced accordingly.
The dealer I use has it posted that parts will be disposed of after 10 days.
Warranty parts have to be saved for around 30 days,in case the factory calls them back for inspection,or cores for rebuilding.
Take off parts are legally owned by the person,or company that paid the bill.

None of this is news.This is just part of the business.The part I don't like is,it seems to me the dealer is bullshitting you.When some shops sell stuff like this,they put the cash into a comeback fund.After a while,any money in the account usually goes toward something like lunch for the shop or a needy employee,then it starts over again.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Always get your take off parts back unless they are fubar. It gives you something to tinker with should be so inclined, or to pass on to someone else to tinker with. Either way they are your parts. Dealer is BSing you IMO.

I can't blame people for selling left behind slightly damaged stuff though, if I wanted to I could just about make a living off the stuff they toss in the dumpster here at work. Carpet, Tvs, Furniture you name it, they toss it even if it is good since someone already paid for it.

Luxie, nice pic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts