Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding home Wednesday from work, Traffic was backed up on one of the side streets here in DC. I pulled to the right hand wheel track to see whats going on doing about 2mph, some D*ckHead opened his car door while parked.... WHACK !!!!! that crash bar pushed his door forward as it slammed it shut. Not even a scratch on the bar. The bike was pushed over onto it's left side ever so gently, but no damage done.

I could only imagine what that would have felt like had it been my knee hitting that door edge and not the crashbar.

Not a sermon, just a thought!!!

·
1,738 Posts
geenham: HD insists it is not a crash bar, but it is in fact just that. It is only liabilty concerns that makes them call it an "engine guard". In low speed low sides it might save your leg if you cannot get it out in time. Back in '67 I lowsided a bike at 20 mph that had what I called crash bars back then. Saved my leg.

Fred

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
With the "engine guard" and the leather bags, I had a 2mph lay down when I first got the V-Rod. Not a mark anywhere (not counting the rasberry on my knee and a pair of torn jeans). Would have been different without either.
It does put a lot of leverage on the "removable" frame member. Probably more than the peg. Another reason why I moved my hiway pegs inside the guards. Discretion......

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Daniii said:
It does put a lot of leverage on the "removable" frame member. Probably more than the peg. Another reason why I moved my hiway pegs inside the guards. Discretion......
Danii, did you pick up that removable frame member? That baby is heavy. I thought it would be a very light piece of trash. I was super surprised at the weight?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Yea it is a heavy piece. I can't imagine how to straighten it once bent. And mine was bent. It was "hydroformed". Looked at the bolt location for peg mounts. Way too close for my long legs. Maybe with my unused passenger peg extensions....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.